Cymbal recommendations

Mickmeister

• Members

I've got a bunch of cymbals that I never use...a few big (18 & 19") vintage Zildians, and the Meinl HCS cymbals that came with the Imperialstar kit I recently bought. I'm going into GC tomorrow to get cash for all that stuff...then, with the money, I want to buy some good HH's and a small(maybe 14") crash. Any recommendations? I was looking at the Zildian ZBT line, which is in my budget range (I want to spend somewhere between $200-300), but I wasn't blown away by the Youtube demos I've seen. Any recommendations?

• Members

I think you'll have to listen for yourself to several different brands/models/sizes/etc. The emulator on the Zildjian site has only been slightly useful, for me.

You might find HH and crash that you like AND works well with some selection of whatever you've already got, too.

-D44

• Members

You'll find lots of choices. Cymbals are trending on the larger size right now, but that's subject to change of course (wide ties today - skinny ties tomorrow). But 1001Gear is right. You'll get taken down the wrong path with what the dealer will offer you. Better off finding a local buyer via Craig's list or the like.

D

• Members

Okay...I did the deal. I took the set of Meinl HCS that came with the Imperialstar kit, plus the two big Zildian crashes, to Guitar center and got cash for them. They gave me pretty much what I expected to get...I'm sure I could have gotten more by selling them directly to a buyer, but I can't imagine going through that hassle...I have a profound dislike for selling stuff online. At GC you're basically paying for the convenience...lug the stuff into the store and be done with it.

I had made up my mind that I was going to buy used Zildian New Beat hi hats, so I tried out a set of new ones in the store. I put that hh next to another that had Zildian ZBTs, so that I could test how much the New Beats blow away the ZBTs. The wierd thing was...I liked the ZBTs better. I know...makes no sense...but I know what I heard. The guy in the store said every cymbal sounds different, so maybe this was just an exceptionally good set of ZBTs. I would have bought them on the spot but he couldn't break up the set (there was also a ZBT ride and crash, which did nothing for me).

So I ended up getting new Sabian B8 hi hats, and a used 14" Zildian A series Fast Crash.

• Members

It's not too bad with a B8 bottom either. I've used one that way as well as with two different New Beat bottoms and while the all Zildjian versions sound crisper and airier than the cheap Sabian pairing they all sound pretty good. I believe it's the heavy bottom that does it.

• Members

1001gear...the Zildian A Series fast crash arrived today. I tried out your idea...I took the B8 off the top of the hi hat and tried out the fast crash on top and B8 on bottom. Holy Crap...it sounds awesome! Completely blows away the B8 top/bottom combo. Only problem is...now I still don't have a 14" crash...I've been playing drums since the late Sixties and never had a decent hi hat til now...there's no way in hell that Zildian is ever coming back off that hi hat!

Archived