electric drum kit dilemma

OMGambit

• Members

Hey guys.

So my 12-year-old son said he wanted a set of drums for his 13th birthday. I come from more of a piano background so I know absolutely nothing about drums. The search for the perfect set of drum begins...

I've been looking at electric drum kits. Main reason for this is that they tend to be cheaper than traditional kits and they are QUIET.

So, I'm trying to decide between 2 kits: Alesis DM6 USB Kit and the Yamaha DD65

The Alesis DM6 USB Kit at $350.

I come with the understanding that the DM6 is the best value out there for a drum kit.

Yamaha DD65 at $220.

This is a lot cheaper than the Alesis. This is a drum pad, different to the DM6 which is a drum kit. If someone could explain any significance difference between the two, that would be great. It's not too expensive and perfect for a beginner. Apparently, it's the most popular drum pad on amazon according to this article:

http://www.electronicdrumkitreviews.net/

The main dilemma is, if I get the DD65, I will need to buy a "better" kit in the future for my son once he outgrows it. So I was thinking, why don't I invest an extra $100 and get the DM6.

If you guys could suggest which one I should get that would help! Or, if there is another electric drum kit that you think is better suited for a 12-year-kid, that would help too!

• Members

The main dilemma is, if I get the DD65, I will need to buy a "better" kit in the future for my son once he outgrows it. So I was thinking, why don't I invest an extra $100 and get the DM6.

If he takes to it, he would likely outgrow the DM6, too.

The Yamaha unit is slightly more portable, so if he gravitates toward jamming with his buds... he'd be slightly more easily mobile in the early stages.

And if he takes to that, it's not easy to predict what path growth might take over the long haul.

-D44

• Members

The Yamaha, isn't really like playing the drums. The Alesis is a standard sit down electronic drum kit. You are seated properly.

I have never heard this Alesis kit myself and have a Yamaha kit DTX digital kit

You will also need a drum Throne and head phone for Christmas day.

I also not sure of the exact details on the the Alesis DM6 Kit, and I'm not sure if they still make it.

This might be a similar kit. With smaller cymbals.

Many of the big music online music dealer will give you a discount too, over what you see on there site. Asked them how music you can get off the net advertised price. They are very good about it.

The Guitar Center is fine and so are these shops.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NitroKit

Available 12-21-2016.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/alesis-nitro-8-piece-electronic-drum-kit

More On The Way! Ships in 7-14 Business Days

http://www.samash.com/electronic-drums/8-piece-nitro-kit-anitrokit-p

I hope this helped, I'm really a guitar player that hacks at the drums. Hopefully more folks can put in there 2 cents.

• Members

Hey OMG,

Good on you for getting a kit for your kid!

I'm assuming he's new to drums and hasn't played before so if that's not the case excuse me.

If this is something he's going to keep doing it would server him to get a real kit. Many can be had used for a fraction of the cost and there are pads you can put on heads and cymbals to mute them. You can also buy mesh heads that are way more quiet than regular heads.

The reason I say get a real kit is the feel is going to be different. You can sit behind an electronic kit and hit and flail as hard as you wish but the volume is mainly controlled my a knob. Playing a real kit is going to teach him so much more about drumming in general.

Check your local Craigslist and music stores to find some kits. Check back with us for help, cuz that's what we love doing: getting more drummers to play and participate.

Where do you live and one of us can maybe look at your craigslist listings and see what's available.

Welcome to the forum.

Ray

• Members
The Yamaha, isn't really like playing the drums. The Alesis is a standard sit down electronic drum kit. You are seated properly.

You will also need a drum Throne and head phone for Christmas day.

Good points, but not necessarily insurmountable. Might be possible to mount the Yamaha on a stand so it sits more like a real kit. I've got a Multi-12 on a stand so it sits where my snare would be while seated... sort of an experiment-in-progress, but it shows promise.

-D44

• Members

If this is something he's going to keep doing it would server him to get a real kit.

The reason I say get a real kit is the feel is going to be different. You can sit behind an electronic kit and hit and flail as hard as you wish but the volume is mainly controlled my a knob. Playing a real kit is going to teach him so much more about drumming in general.

Yes!

And the heads are different in two ways; not just volume control, but also in tactile response. Rubber, usually not so good. Mesh, often better. Neither (so far, in my limited experience) the same as real heads.

And practice (or volume control) pads mounted on real heads -- e.g., Aquarian Super-Pads -- feel somewhere in between rubber and mesh, to me, so far.

I think there's still a good argument for electronics, even as a starter, or perhaps as just dipping a toe in the water... but there's an equally good argument for real kits if the goal is real expertise over time.

-D44

Archived