A DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH ?

techristian

• Members

I believe that these are indeed an early version of the Export Series. I can't remember the early names, but these came out about the time ludwig introduced the "Rockers" sets. (or maybe even before). And to answer your question - yes, many sub sets to the Pearl brand. At the time, they were making drums for a lot of folks.

D

• Members

I had a set of Ludwig Rock Duo's .Black with granitone interiors. 2 large 22" double bass with no mounting hardware, 2 toms on a tripod, a chrome snare and a large 16" floor tom.I bought them new in 1974, one month after I started at Chrysler. They set me back $1000 back then and my parents thought I was crazy. I was crazy to trade them in for an Octapad in 1988.

Dan

• Members

I had a Pearl copy set and I had a co-worker in high school in the 80's that had a real Export set. If it says Pearl than it mostly likely is Pearl, my knock offs didn't say anything and were far worse than the tom holder, arms and drum base plate shown here. My tom arms and holders stripped out all the time!! My tom arms had dents from where I tightened them down over time. These look MUCH stouter and still in good shape, So I say some type of Pearl Export??? Which would make it Popular wood???

Also what is really telling to me is the bass drum spurs. they are telescoping right??Another good sign of brand name maker, even if it was their base or student model. Pearl Copys and the like usually had just a peg rod that came start out with a rubber boot at the end. Is that a Tama Pedal?? or an old Ludwig Rocker II pedal?? The Tama pedals are great, the Rocker II pedal is okay (I had one, the chain link WORE through the metal link hole in the foot plate!!!). Not sure about the drums, Except the seam looks straight AND the wrap was still on good!! A lot of copy or cheap sets get bumps and lumps in the wrap from temp. extremes so that's a good sign there. But the mounts and arms seem to match the drum mounts and I don't see former holes drilled, so I would almost say Early to mid 80's Pearl Exports???

Although they should have a Pearl name badge then?? Unless they were re-wrapped at some point?? Scorpions, Def Lepard, Southern Rock, etc were popular in the late 70's and early 80's so sets with "Power Toms" (extra long toms) were popular on some sets back when so this set COULD have been from then as well?? Another good sign is if the bass drum hoop is wood? Some cheaper sets used metal or plastic. Hope this helps!

• Members

I have a Genesis book that shows Chester Thompson from when he first joined the live shows with Genesis with a Pearl set with Steel or metal bass hoops on a Pearl set. I couldn't find a pic on line, but I did find this, an online ad for another 70's Pearl set and the hoop and toms seem to match or they are close?? See pic and then I included the link. May be of some help??

5a6e4370ec3119b302c2691600faa475.jpg.33f25d2071ec3f8e59754d9e9c0aa088.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It'll be interesting to see how the wood looks when you're done. Most of these kits came covered with a wrap because the wood was not conducive to being presentable with a clear coat finish. Was the wrap in bad shape? It looked like a plain champaign color, which seems fairly benign. Just wondering. D

• Members

I think the green tint is from the grass reflecting on the drums. But even then, I like it. It clearly shows what (with a little elbow grease) you can do to a down trodden kit. If more people would do this, more kids would or could be inspired to drum and make better music.

Too many drums are "trashed" because they need a little TLC. Kudos to you Dan for giving a little love to these drums.

D

• Members

I moved out my Tama 22" bass and I'm playing these now instead. The bass sounds as good if not better to my 2010 ImperialStar and is about 4" shallower , which means that I may actually be able to get this behind my seat in the vette. In the last gig I played, I had to put the bass drum on the passenger seat.....(no wifey).

Dan

• Members

With used drums, the important thing to look at is that there are no cracks in the shell. Even then, that can also be repaired.

The brand is also important. I wasn't 100% sure that these were Pearl until the Tom lug fit perfectly.

It was approximately another $20 for the tom mount, and $5 for the Urathane...3 hours of elbow grease, 2 hours of disassembly/assembly and 2 hours of finishing.

Dan

Archived