Kit Recommendations For A beginner?

TML

• Members

As mentioned in the other thread that I started, I am a guitar player who is looking to switch to drums because of arthritis in my fingers. I will likely keep one guitar around so that I can mess around with slide (either one of my current Les Pauls or I'll just pick up a cheap acoustic or resonator), but will sell the rest of my gear and put the money towards a drum kit.

This isn't going to happen right away as I am going to be extremely busy until mid-October so there is no point in grabbing a kit right now if I am not going to have time to learn. Despite that, I'd like to start thinking about which kit to buy so that I can check online reviews, stock at my local stores, keep my eye open for sales, etc. and then be ready to make the purchase as soon as my schedule frees up (or if I stumble across a good deal).

So with all of that in mind, what recommendations would people make for an acoustic kit for a beginner drummer? Are there any brands you would recommend? Any that I should stay away from? Any particular configuration that is recommended? Should I buy a kit that includes everything or should I buy pieces separately?

I am open to both new and used (might prefer new since it is my first kit). I am also looking for a kit that I can grow into and use as I progress so as not to be buying new gear all the time.

Because there are other people in the house who won't want to hear me practice I will be buying a set of the Remo silent heads as well as the low noise cymbals from Zildjian.

Anyway, I would appreciate any recommendations or advice people have with regards to buying a first kit.

• Members

The best bang for you buck is a used quality kit. There are low end, mid range and high end kits by almost every company.

Brands of drums to look for:

Gretsch

Ludwig

Yamaha

Pearl

DW

Pacific (lower end of DW line)

Cymbals:

Zildjian

Sabian

Meinl

Paiste

None of the above are in any particular order, just the names that popped in my head first.

Major questions are:

How much are you willing to spend on drums?

How much are you willing to spend on cymbals?

Look on Craigslist and ebay. Find something you might like and get opinions here on the quality and price. Since you have time you can take your time and let us help.

I got my set of Gretsch drums in '76 used. It's the only full set I've ever owned and I still play out on them. So you can find great bargains used and have a killer kit for ever if you want them. BTW, my kit has gone through many changes as far as cymbal stands, tom holders, etc. The finish is newer, but it's still the same set of drums.

So answer the questions on $ and find some stuff and post it here. Have fun on the journey to your first kit!

• Members

Only a moment to respond as I am literally on my way out the door to work.

I figure my budget should be $500-$1000. Included will be the cost of the Remo silent head and the Zildjian low noise cymbals. Someone near me is selling used, but new, versions of those right now but I am not making the purchase right away so can't jump on them (no point in buying heads until I know what sizes my drums will be).

In terms of music I like classic rock, blues, '80s metal, country, etc. My favourite drummers are Peart, Moon, and Bonham so that should give you an idea of what I am into.

I live in the Toronto area so have the Toronto Craigslist and Toronto Kijiji (same idea as Craigslist) to search through.

Thanks for the responses...I will check in again once I get home.

• Members

In my experience, there is no better "bang for your buck" with drum sets than the Yamaha Stage Custom kit. I've had one for 12 years and have used it for literally everything from metal to folk music and everything in between. They sound fantastic, are very responsive to different heads and tunings, and have excellent hardware, durability, and visual appeal.

• Members

Yamaha seems to make quality instruments of all kinds so that is a good suggestion.

Are Pearl kits decent? As a non-drummer I had always assumed they were good but I have seen some disparaging remarks online. Is there an issue with Pearl or are those making the remarks just cork sniffing (to use a guitar term)? I ask because I have noticed a few Pearl sets for sale in my local classifieds and want to cast as wide a net as possible.

• Members
Are Pearl kits decent? As a non-drummer I had always assumed they were good but I have seen some disparaging remarks online. Is there an issue with Pearl or are those making the remarks just cork sniffing (to use a guitar term)? I ask because I have noticed a few Pearl sets for sale in my local classifieds and want to cast as wide a net as possible.

So when it comes to BRAND (Pearl, Yamaha, Tama, etc), you need to think of it like cars: every auto manufacturer has high-end, middle-line, and low-end stuff. You can get a gorgeous Ford GT, a cool Mustang, or a Focus.

Drums, and most musical instruments, are no different. Are Pearl kits decent, you ask? Well, their Masters line are some of the nicest drums on the market. The Exports and Vision drums are classic standards, and they've got lower-level gear, as well, which may be less fetching.

Basically, don't think about the brand - look at the model and make. Pearl Exports, Yamaha Stage Customs, Tama Superstar/ Swingstar/ Rockstar... these are all in the lower-end of the spectrum but are great drums. I'm preferential to Yamaha Stage Customs since they've adapted with the times and are available in different sizes and configurations than some of the others I've mentioned. I also think they're more flexible in their sound and responsiveness, but you know what they say about opinions...

• Members

One of the sets that I gig with are Pearl Exports and I can't say enough good things about them. I bought them with low expectations, and boy was I wrong. As with most mid range drums, head selection and tuning brings out the best in these drums. I can also attest to Yamaha Stage Customs. My son has a set and they are also a quality mid range set. You can't go wrong with either. In my area; Northern Illinois; you can find both of these products used at real good prices. Be selective in your buying but don't be afraid to jump on a deal if you find a good one.

• Members

I am a guitar player that kinda got started on the drums very late in life. I don't play drummers that often either.

My acoustic set was made by Premier and was a moderately priced set at the time. I upgraded the heads, and the zildjian cymbals cost as much used as the kit did new. I hate crappy sounding brass.

So a couple of years ago I bought a Yamaha digital kit. which is quiet and is great for daily practice and recording.

It's a thought. and will keep the neighborhood, gf/ wife and pets happy, while you practice.

• Members

I will concur with what the others are saying: For the past 30 years and really the past 20 years, most brand name drum names that you recognize, like the ones first mentioned are going to work well. They all make true round drums with good smooth edges that the heads sit on, have decent hardware and tune well. You might want to change the heads to fit your needs over time. On drums, heads are like strings on a guitar, change them and you can change the sound, plus good heads on a cheap set can sound really close to what you hear on a record.

Cymbals are a different beast, You really can't make a cheap cymbal sound good. Is like a Les Paul through a cheap practice amp. You don't have to go all out and get the most expensive, but only decent or good cymbals will sound good when playing or recording. plus the limits of cheap OR poorly made OR cymbals that don't match what you need WILL get annoying after awhile.

I would highly suggest that you go find as many nearby music shops and check out what they have in person, be advised that store demo sets are NEVER in tune and sometimes the stock heads suck. I would also look online and in person for used sets for sale, Drums like many instruments lose value the moment they leave the store door and used is the best way to find a great set WITH decent cymbals and maybe extras for a decent price. You may have to UP your budget? finding a set and then getting "Silent" heads and Lo-Volume Zildjian cymbals is going to blow your budget out of the water!

Yamaha's are great and I've had great luck with them! They sound nice, stay in tune and have great hardware (stands and pedals, etc) Pearl's are great as well, Biggest is thing is that Pearl has been making great student kits from the 80's, if not before and for a long time, this may be why others makers have been following them for the past 30 odd years? To wrap this up, All known makers make decent to great sets, some are starter/student sets, some are mid-line or advanced sets for the intermediate drummers, and some are Pro-level sets and this is the reason for the price difference as far as new sets go, Cymbals are like Amps are to Guitars, and is where it's worth it to hunt and spend a little more than you would on the drums for the most part. All drums can make a thump sound, but you can never get a clean ride cymbal sound from a pot lid so to speak. Is why I would check E-bay, Craiglist, on line stuff etc. or let us help you in your search. Hope this Helps!!!

• Members
In my experience, there is no better "bang for your buck" with drum sets than the Yamaha Stage Custom kit. I've had one for 12 years and have used it for literally everything from metal to folk music and everything in between. They sound fantastic, are very responsive to different heads and tunings, and have excellent hardware, durability, and visual appeal.

I agree with this. The Stage Customs are fantastic. I've taken them on tour before and they hold up great. In fact, this upcoming national tour I have starting in a few weeks I'll once again be rock'n a Stage Custom for the 4 week run.

Great for players at all levels, and not expensive at all!

Archived