My new kick mic mounting system

Carminemw

• Members

For all my drum buds...I just purchased the new Kick drum mic mounting system from Kelly Shu. This is the way it looks inside my kick/ floor tom now. The mic stays in there permanently and right now, the cable is mounted through a small port in my front head. I will be doing a review soon, so more info to come...

298c6d844e6f723a1534509d1ef2e709.thumb.jpg.91bd04c2383c91b389700d4380a4afe8.jpg

da7851d85faf459b4d214314be84a3e7.thumb.jpg.9a87ca268a7e7e668c78990314744b2c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

what about mounting it with the screws holding the reso head lugs? It would put it farther away from the batter obviously, but would do 2 things:

- mount the mic more like you would if you were using a stand and inserting the mic through a hole in the head, therefore getting more shell shound

- move the mic away from the pedal to reduce noise

Can the horseshoe be mounted inverted from the way it is shown in the pictures? It looks like it's aimed towards the high side of the kick drum shell - or am I misinterpreting the picture? I'd want the mic further away from the head, and lower, and I'd also probably angle it towards the shell a bit on the floor tom side to get a bit less click and a bit more of the shell resonance...

• Members

I've been told by the inventor it can be mounted any way you want. The bungie chord mounts are as flexible as you want. And the mic slides on a little track to change positions. It can be hung anywhere, even outside the drum if desired...

I've been told by the inventor it can be mounted any way you want. The bungie chord mounts are as flexible as you want. And the mic slides on a little track to change positions. It can be hung anywhere' date=' even outside the drum if desired...[/quote']

Aaah, gotcha! I can't really see the "track" that the mic can be moved on (forward / rearward) from the angle of the pictures, but that makes sense.

• Members

I wonder if you could split the difference and mount, say the top and bottom bungies to the batter lugs and the 2 side bungies to the reso lugs. Thinking it would put the Shu in the middle of the drum - if needed of course. And that's if the cords are long enough.

So as it is, does the mount move much when playing the drum or when transporting it? Playing it you'd have to have someone look at it or put a camera inside to see it, I'd imagine.

• Members

The bungies are a double edge sword. You customize the lengths on your own...they give you a long rubber chord and you cut the lengths. They are hard physically to put together because the ends have to snap together, and that can be quite a feat!!!!

• Members

I'm kind of a guitar player with 2 sets of drums. One acoustic kits one digital kit. I love the full acoustic kit, but the family loves the digital kit. :D

The kit drum is amazing on that digital kit.

I'd love to hear that kick drum. I have both the beater head and resonator head on my acoustic kick, but for a while I did have the resonator head off the thing.

KP65-xlarge.jpg

Archived