Complete snare drum failure

FitchFY

• Members

I played on St. Patrick's Day in Worcester, MA and had like an utter failure for snare drums. A few songs in, my snare strap broke, so my Ludwig Black Galaxy became a great... timbale. Ugh. The sound guy grabbed the house snare so I could use that instead... and it already had a broken bottom head.

Ugh. Failed. At least it led to another blog post.

https://fitchdrums.wordpress.com/2016/03/19/if-you-hit-it-it-will-break/

• Members

I always take my emergency gear with me to each gig. They stay in the car but are available if needed. I always have an extra snare drum, an extra kick pedal, an extra hi-hat (i did have a chain link break once) and a box with used batter heads that were replaced on each drum that I may take to a gig. I have three sets that I can gig with so I made one box of heads. My kicks are either 22" or 16" so there is one of each in the box; along with tom heads from 8" to 16". My tool box has a spool of grosgrain ribbon and snare chord along with a spare snare strand, duct tape and assorted small parts and kick springs. I have to say that I only needed to swap out one hi-hat; due to the broken chain link, and one snare, due to a reso head blowout, since 1966 but I was happy that I was prepared.

• Members

Hindisght has been wonderful for this. We only had a 45 minute set or so, so the reality of taking out five minutes to fix the drum is something I wanted to do, but I understand that my band mates didn't want to do, especially after having to "Irish Rover" without a drummer. Oh well.

In all but this band, I have a second snare, so I guess I'm chalking it up to Murphy's Law. As always... good experience!

• Members

This sounds like a recurring nightmare I had when I was touring with a major artist. Kind of like going to school and forgetting where your locker is. In Nashville, the running joke is "hey, you can use the house kit - it'll be fine!" Cept the house kit is from 1971 and missing bottom heads, duct taped heads, no floor tom legs, and one bass drum spur have the length of the other.

You know the drill.

Glad you improvised, adapted and overcame!

D

Archived