This is the only drum set I have ever owned

Mikeo

• Members

Not exactly mine, but mine is the same 5 piece set, and same color. I didn't know too much about drums 20 years ago, but I saw these kits in a shop in Albany NY and thought it might be an ok one to learn on. I had never heard of the Premier Drum Company, but the kit was made in England and I guess model XKP. They came in different color stains. Might be birch on the outside layered between eucalyptus. I'm not sure of that exactly.

premier-xpk-712046.jpg

My kick has this label on the front

attachment.php?attachmentid=249362&stc=1&d=1161017655

With the purchase of the kit I also purchased a Zildjian K dark crash and a Zildjian K ride, which were used. The hh I have Sabian Jack DeJohnette hi hats. I wasn't even sure who Jack DeJohnnete even was, but he signature hh was pretty warm. I choose all the cymbals by tone and what I thought I might like the sound off.

A few years later I redid all the beater heads with Evans. Genera Dry on the HH, EMAD Clear in the kick, G2 clears on the 3 toms. Those heads were kind of recommended to me by a guy at the Guitar Center.

I used to spend quit a bit of time tuning, but I got me a Drum Dial and it sure made things quicker.

sabian_jack_dejohnette_encore_hihats_14.jpg

Last year after driving everyone nutso for years with the volume drums can and do deliver I bought a Yamaha DTX532K digital kit.

I set out to get a Roland kit, but I really like the acoustic sounds in the Yamaha kit better. Plus Yamaha, makes a nice acoustic set and if they can't copy there acoustic kick in a digital format who the heck can. It's not the fanciest either drum kits, but it works for me.

H98031000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Now I don't play every day, and the digital kick folds up in a storage box I bought for it. The acoustic drums are getting a bit dusty I must say. The work that goes in to keeping a drum kit looking good and playing condition can be a nightmare for a guitar player. I have much appreciation for cleaning and dusting . Mine are over due I must say. I probably should get some storage cases for em.

Oh, and the other thing I bought was a new kick drum beater. The original beater was old skool felt and this new one is like rubber or something. More boom, for a smaller kick drum.

Later folks.

Archived