Has anyone tried Zildjian L80 Low Volume cymbals?

Drummer44

• Members

Just listened to a youtube and they sound a little lifeless for performance. Fine for practice though where stick control is everything. Maybe if they had an in between line that was comparable in audibility to small splashes and had big cymbal pitches and tone huh?

• Members

Impressions vs. perforations. Har har ! smile.png

I'm thinking for our jam (& practice/rehearsal) room, which isn't huge. And maybe some of the smaller venues I favor if I have to play out...

I have K. Zildjian Constantinople crash/ride and hat, and smaller A. Zildjian & Cie "Vintage" crashes... and those work when I pay attention, but... wouldn't mind working with something inherently quieter for most of my playing these days. Including chamber music (sorta) when wifey gets to choose the music.

Useful to hear you've played them, Dendy... wish the video guy had banged on 'em a bit more in contrast to that single normal crash/ride he had mounted. Sounds quality didn't come through on my computer speakers... Do the 14 hats sound louder than the 13 hats? 16 crash louder than the 14? (Edit: or do those slightly larger sizes just cause tone changes?] Would you describe the sounds as more shimmery than solid cymbals of approx. the same size?

-D44

• Members

The volume is no different on these based on diameter than it is a regular cymbal in terms of relative volume.

They actually sound like a real cymbal. The difference: If you have ever heard someone playing drums from a distance, this is what they sound like in person.

If you were to mic them from under the cymbal, they would sound like a regular crash, ride or hat in the P.A. (with more volume control).

They fell out of the Gen16 projects which works on the same premise. Only they stepped up the alloy and thickness for the L80 series.

D

• Members

Thanks. In the meantime, I checked out youtube, too (1001's suggestion, duh, I'm too old to think of that first I guess) and got a bit more insight there. Might have to invest in some... but surprisingly the two GCs and the Sam Ash I've visited recently didn't have any in stock...

-D44

Archived