18" gong drum.....what head should I use?

Proto48Patrick

• Members

I had an 18X14 gong drum shell made for me last year. Im just getting around to getting the other pcs to finish this off. My question is: What kind of head should I use on this? I use Evans EC2 on all my tom batters. The only 20" evans head that GC had was a clear Emad 2. Im thinking I would want a clear 1ply head for this drum.

Any thoughts?

Patrick

049c1e8d10686903d2913d7755d1340e.jpg.58561d73469ae9273c75c422a5426a96.jpg

• Members

First off: Beautiful shell!

Did you do the work on that yourself?

As for head: It really depends on what you want to accomplish sound-wise. Typical gong drums are seen with a CS (Controlled Sound) head (with a dot in the center). Or, you can go with a 20" bass drum head. Keep in mind, if you go with a single ply head on something that large, you will have a tendency to dent the head while playing it unless it is an Emperor thickness head.

D

• Members

I would like to take credit for the work on the shell but I cant. I guy named Alan Jensen from Addiction Drum made it for me. It will look really nice with my natural maple drum kit.

I'm looking for a low sound with plenty of attack for this drum. I understand the low tension could cause dents but I think a 2 play head will give me a warmer sound than I want.

I appreciate your reply Dendy!

Patrick

• 6 months later...
  • Members

well, I apologize but I forgot about this forum.:-)

I do not plan on double heading it and in fact, I bought a 20" Evans G2 head. Now, I have some bass drum claws that I need to have made up to accept the angled tension rod from a pearl BRL-300. This lugs has just the right amount of angle to make this drum possible for me. Will keep you guys updated!

Archived