Recording Drums - Vintage Sound

oneflightup

Sure... start with a set of vintage drums and make sure you're not using ultra-modern heads on it. As far as mics, again, I'd recommend sticking to vintage models. The D12 and D19c's you have on the kick and snare in the photos are good examples. I would opt for condensers or maybe ribbons for the overheads. A really good sounding room and a drummer who knows how to balance the various elements of their own kit are both crucial for best results. As far as where to put the microphones, try to go for a bit more "distance" in your placement than you might use for a more "modern" sounding recording. The classic three-mic / Glyn Johns approach is my usual "go-to" for getting a vintage drum sound. In fact, I use that, along with various close and room mics to augment them as the basis of my "usual" drum miking approach. I like Neve and API preamps for drums - modern or vintage. Go fairly easy on the compression, at least by modern standards - a Fairchild 670 is a great choice if you're fortunate enough to have access to one; a pair of 1176s can also work well if you don't.

Part of the setup and approach will depend on which "vintage era" we're shooting for. A 50s era sound and approach would be considerably different than trying to get a deader, 70s era drum sound - again, the studios and acoustical environments they had tended to be considerably different in the two different eras, and consequently so were the drum sounds.

Did I emphasize how crucial the drummer, kit and acoustical environment are? Maybe I should do so again... wink.png

• Members

The only thing I might add is loosening the snares just a tad and tuning a bit more loose but tighter?? Also take out as much muffling as you can. Vintage drums heard alone sound more "boingy" or bouncy. Bass drums and lower toms didn't have the "Deep Bass" that thunders the walls like today. It was more of a "throaty" bass sound? Deep but not too deep and the toms are tuned higher and usually smaller and thinner cymbals were used. Hope this helps.

Archived