Snare Drums: What you got?

Dendy Jarrett

• Members
fetch?id=31565634&type=small Here are my "go to" snare drums. While I do have a few wood snares I tend to use metal snare drums a majority of the time. Up until a few years ago, the '67 Supra was the only drum I used. I did buy this drum in '67 and it probably would be my choice if I was limited to having only one snare drum. The Black Magic gets called upon for a lot of outdoor gigs, and to me, sounds just as good as a Black Beauty. I know that a lot of people would disagree with me, but I am just happy with the Black Magic. The last drum here is the Ludwig Venus. It's a brass piccolo with an odd size, 14" x 3.7". I have nothing but good things to say about this drum. It is responsive, and surprisingly has a wide tuning range. I have always wanted a shallower drum and would always walk away from the piccolos I tried because I wasn't satisfied with something about the drum I was looking at. Either I didn't like the sound, or the construction or whatever. A few years ago I saw this drum at a drum show, tried it out and had to have it!

• Members

Man, that you purchased that drum in 1967 and still use it as your go to today is super cool. Ignorantly, I let my 64 6.4X14 super phonic go and I kick myself to this day. There is something about that first snare that you get dialed in that really can never be reproduced.

• Members

Dendy Jarrett

#7.1

Man, that you purchased that drum in 1967 and still use it as your go to today is super cool. Ignorantly, I let my 64 6.4X14 super phonic go and I kick myself to this day. There is something about that first snare that you get dialed in that really can never be reproduced.

I still have my first snare drum. I got it for Christmas in 1969 (Santa got it used somewhere).

fetch?id=31570480&type=full

Pre-serial, white reso interior, red felt muffler. Date stamp March 23 1963.

• Members

Be still my heart. That is a great classic snare. Love the throw off on this model. Now if you could only find the kit to match! :)

That drum was made during an era when they cared about making great drums and the thinking was that if you built a great drum the money would come. Now it is about building drums for money.

Just an opinion mind you ...

Great drum!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I refinished this Ludwig Black Galaxy from someone's trash pile. New strainer and snares, derusted everything, fixed the muffler, and brought it back to full life. It gives that great "blat"-rolite sound from the old Ludwigs and gets fairly consistent use in a few of my projects.

I named it "Black Earl" after my grandfather.

2cef9145d76b4b2c96c63570f86c8fb1.jpg.2a1c2463885c54d05b18935fcd4f8230.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived