Your thoughts on Weezer's drummer?

Rage Bass Dude

• Members

I really like him. He's real simple, straightforward, and solid. He backs Weezer's music very well and is kinda fun to watch live. But all of the fills on the blue CD are crazy stupid. It sounds like he's playing a ghetto set.

(For those who, unlike me, are not alumni of the MCHS jazz band, a "ghetto" set is a kit consisting of a hihat, kick, snare, and crash. Lightness and cheapness are main factors, as well as the ability to play hip hop beats. Used when the lazy ass drummer doesn't feel like lugging his own stuff and asks the horn guys to do it.)

• Members

I don't think he is completely without talent (as many people do), though the majority of his repertoire proves differently. Ive been listening to Pinkerton a lot recently and it showcases his ability more than any other of their albums (although I haven't heard Maladroit yet so I shouldn't say that).

• Members

That's true, and I think that it takes a high level of skill to play as simply as Pat does. Before Weezer he played in band that were more of the Primus/RHCP vein. I think this guy has skills he is humble enough to keep in his pocket and play what is needed, which in Weezer is simplicity. There are some great fills on Pinkerton.

Ken

• Members

Pat's a good player. He does what's required for the songs...nothing more, nothing less. That's what makes a good drummer in a band great. A seasoned player will play for composition rather than play for himself. That's the discipline behind being a professional...knowing what the song needs and how to get that across without sounding dull.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Boriiiiinggggggggg. I think the whole band is just downright boring. If i was in the mood to waste money and i decided to actually go to a weezer concert, i'd probably have to check my pulse every couple minutes, just so i knew i was alive. You know it is possible to play simple beats and still make it sound exciting. This "playing for the song" line gets used too often as a scapegoat for being boring. Take chad smith of rhcp. He certainly doesn't overplay or play anything overly elaborate, but he creates a great groove on songs like suck my kiss,etc.. I think being talented is being able to create more with less, ie creating an interesting grooze with fewer sounds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't see what the problem is....he keeps the beat. And if you have ever been to a weezer concert im sure you wouldn't be bored. It's much better than some {censored}ty concert with a million people punching eachother. I would say they put on a very good show in spite of the simple mellow music.

• Members

Amen dude. They rocked the house at Amsouth last Tuesday. It's always boss when they come to Nashville. The only thing that sucks is they get stuck with a lot of whiny emo bands opening for them, like Dashboard Confessional.

Dashboard Confessional sucks. I just want to say to those guys, "Your girlfriend doesn't like you? Get a new one. Jesus." That has to be the whiniest band in the history of existance, and they kinda sound like Blink 182 without all the references to boobies and stuff that makes Blink 182 somewhat semi-tolerable.

The Strokes were supposed to open for them . . . not THAT'S a band. They kick much ass.

Archived