For the price of a double pedal why not just get another bass drum?

guitarizt

• Members

In my case if I ever wanted a double pedal it wouldn't be too much more to just get another rockstar bass drum and two iron cobra pedals used. Plus two bass drums just look cooler. I haven't seen my local bands use two bass drums, is it just because it's more stuff to haul around? I don't really mind having to haul it around.

Also what's the iron cobra jr.? Is it any good? I'm assuming it isn't since they bidding on it is rather low with a day to go. Is it better than the regular old $40 tama bass pedal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=895620930

I'm not gonna kick another bass drum or anything for a long time but I'm just wondering why I don't see it as much.

• Members

Double bass drum vs double pedal-

There are a bunch of differences, but the main one is tuning. It's a hell of a lot easier to tune one bass drum than to try to tune one, then tune another to sound exactly the same.

• Members

Originally posted by Chabo

Double bass drum vs double pedal-

There are a bunch of differences, but the main one is tuning. It's a hell of a lot easier to tune one bass drum than to try to tune one, then tune another to sound exactly the same.

I knew I overlooked something. Thanks that's exactly what I needed to know.

• Members

Well, like I said there are a ton of reasons, but I can only remember a couple.

With two bass drums, it's more customizable. You could purposely tune the second one differently, or you could have it be a different size.

Supposedly, it's easier to play single stroke rolls with a double pedal.

I'll post more tomorrow, I forget.

• Members

Right. I bought my double pedal for $150 used, meanwhile another bass drum would've been at least $200 used if I wanted good condition, plus the cost of the pedal. And I would've wanted to have matching pedals, so I would've had to buy two.

• Members

2 bass drums aren't very practical for

a club gigging drummer because there is

usually not enough room on stage

for a huge kit.

Plus maintanence is higher due to

one more drum to buy heads for,

I'd much rather spend $30 on 1

BD head than $60 on 2

• Members

or for the price of another bass drum, why not buy a whole other set, like in my case. :D it was going to run $305 for a new bass. And my dad suggested, "Well, if another set is $500, why not get that?" I like his reasoning! :D That really made sense for me, since my first kit was a rockstar fusion kit. I only have 2 matching drums, and thats the 12" toms. I just tune 'em differently. Made sense to me. . . :)

• Members

That's why I said in my case because I know that two bass drums on a higher end kit cost more anyways. I rockstar bass drum is a lot cheaper. I didn't think about the heads either. A double pedal is looking a lot better now.

• Members

Originally posted by Bigjohn

for a huge kit.

BD head than $60 on 2

What he said. :D

• Members

A lot of valid points. However, it is really a matter of personal preference. The cost factor is not that much. The extra head is not that much, how often do you break a bass drum head? Tuning does not take long and once it's tuned it doesn't really go out of tune and only requires very minor adjustments from time to time, same as with one kick.

Space is not really an issue and I've played some very small bars and I have a monster kit.

Whatever your personal preference is you can always find reasons to justify your choice.

My advice, get what you want and damn what everyone else thinks.

• Members

From "The Encyclopedia of Double Bass Drumming":

What are the differences between using two bass drums and using a double pedal? Both setups have their own advantages and disadvantages. Double pedals give you a more even articulation, attack, and sound. Two bass drums give you a wider broader sound. Using two bass drums of the same size, but tuned differently, or playing two different-size bass drums, can give you a variety of pitches to work with.

Of course, the convenience and portability of playing a double pedal are obvious. (And most studio and live-sound engineers prefer only dealing with one bass drum!) Two bass drums also bring about the challenge of increased physical movement, because they expand the kit. With double bass you might have to stretch a little to reach your toms and cymbals.

To a certain extent, singles are easier to play on double pedals, just like singles played by the hands are easier on one drum than split between two. But broken-up figures are a bit easier to play on two bass drums.

There ya have it. That about covers it.

• Members

Originally posted by Scheming Demon

My advice, get what you want and damn what everyone else thinks.

I don't know what I want yet. I'm just weighing the pros and cons because I kept coming up with too many pros and not enough cons. I knew I was missing something.

• Members

If you have the $$, you can always have a double pedal handy so you can use either two basses or a single bass depending on the venue, the type of music , etc. I already have a double pedal, so the next kit i get, i'm gonna get a double bass setup and use whatever is neccessary for the music at the time.

• Members

Originally posted by Bigjohn

for a huge kit.

BD head than $60 on 2

Two more...

With an extra bass drum you also need

one more BD mic and another channel

on the mixer

And finally, I'm just getting too {censored}ing old

to lug around a big double BD kit and I

prefer smaller setups, I have a 6-pc kit

now and alot of times I'll leave some of

them at home.

You can call me lazy, but my back thanks me

;)

• Members

Originally posted by stapes2260

If you have the $$, you can always have a double pedal handy so you can use either two basses or a single bass depending on the venue, the type of music , etc. I already have a double pedal, so the next kit i get, i'm gonna get a double bass setup and use whatever is neccessary for the music at the time.

My future drumming career is getting to be expensive. =)

• Members

Hell, I plan on getting at LEAST a 7-piece, along with an additional snare, and at LEAST 6 suspended cymbals...

This is all eventually of course... right now I have a 5-piece with one suspended cymbal, and one hella bent top hi-hat.

Archived