prince mahaka (something like that)

pconn171

• Members

anyway - if you're still around - i was wondering - you said that you rebuilt speed king pedals - i was wondering exactly what you do and if you can get ahold of parts and what not to do something like this - i just figured i'd pull it apart and clean it but i figured i'd check with you and see what procedure you use

• Members

It's very messy and you need carburetor cleaner to cut the old and glue-like grease. The carb cleaner will burn your skin and will flame in a big way so no smoking. If you remove both screws on the bottom, you may not be able to extract the works without soaking the tubes the springs live in. There is more than springs in those tubes and you should end up with a couple of rods that change diameter as well as two springs coming out. In doing so, you will wash the grease out of the pivot bearings. Removing the caps is nearly impossible without making the pedals look like crap. Once the pedals are free of grease, it is posible to use the parts of the pedal to pump grease into those bearings using the spring tubes like part of syringe to pump grease into and through the bearings. Then I had to remove excess grease. The ones I did were super old and I had to work like hell to rid them of the old grease. I experimented with different types of grease but what matters most is not using too much which causes a semi hydraulic lock condition making the pedal act like it has shock absorbers inside it which kills your speed.

Archived