Electronic High Hat Pedal/Cable Question...

wpear1

• Members

I recently purchased a yamaha pedal (HH65) which controls my (drumkat dk10) electronic percussion pad's high hat trigger.

Problem is, when I push the jack all the way into the pedal I get no sound at all. When I push it in only halfway, it works.

I believe I might need a cable with a jack that receives it's signal from the sleeve rather than the tip.

So my question is this...Is this what I need and do these jacks exist? If so, where can I get one?

Any help is much appreciated!

-Nelson

• Members

A few things you might to consider first....

I believe the Yamaha hi-hat pedal uses a STEREO cable, try using a stereo cable if you were using a mono cable.

Perhaps the unit has a short in it and that is why you get no sound when the cable is plugged in all the way.

Hope this helps!?!?!?

• Members

afew questions 1st. are you using a stereo end cable on the pedal ? and are you using a yamaha drum module ?? if not what is your sound source( a.k.a. brain )

i have a drumkat ,and a hart multi-pad 6 that i'm using inconjuction with a yamaha dtxpress module, and have to use a cable with the dual rings (a.k.a. stereo cable) on the end of it for the hihat pedal to function with the module..

just a few thoughts,but it may be the solution for your problem

later,

sam(otacon28)

Originally posted by wpear1

I recently purchased a yamaha pedal (HH65) which controls my (drumkat dk10) electronic percussion pad's high hat trigger.

Problem is, when I push the jack all the way into the pedal I get no sound at all. When I push it in only halfway, it works.

I believe I might need a cable with a jack that receives it's signal from the sleeve rather than the tip.

So my question is this...Is this what I need and do these jacks exist? If so, where can I get one?

Any help is much appreciated!

-Nelson

• Members

His post said he was using a Drumkat. I suggested the same thing, that is to make sure it's a STEREO cable.

Other than that, I would guess perhaps something is defective in the brain, anyone else have any suggestions for him as to what might be wrong?

Let us know how you make out!

• Members

Thanks for the tips.

I'm using the Drumkat DK10, Roland R70 module, Yamaha HH65 High hat pedal, Roland XP5 kick trigger (and Yamaha Data Filer).

The Yamaha pedal in question came with a STEREO cable. It made no sounds when fully plugged in. It worked fine when pulled halfway out (and there's not much of a "notch" there to keep it secure). I then tried a MONO cable, hoping I could insert it fully, but again it would only work when plugged in halfway.

This leads me to beleive that the signal that's working for me is coming from the SLEEVE, and not the TIP, which in turn leads me to beleive that I need a cable that sends the signal via the SLEEVE as well.

In most MONO cables, I'm almost certain that the signal comes from the TIP. So the question is, WHERE can I get a mono cable that sends it's signal to the jack from the sleeve, NOT the tip?

Also, the reason the Yamaha HH65 uses a stereo cable is because it can produce some functions, like splash, and varying intervals in the HH's range, which my system doesn't support...and which is fine. I just want to be able to plug my cable in all the way and not have to worry about it coming unplugged in the middle of playing.

Again, does this seem like the answer, and if so...where can I get a MONO cable that gets it's signal from the SLEEVE?

Thanks!

-Nelson

• Members

Just a thought, maybe you could just rewire an existing cable and try it out to see if it does that job?

Or make a cable from parts, I'm pretty sure Radio Shack has the parts.

Let us know how ya make out!

• 13 years later...

Archived