Help me decide on E-drums

Heineken

• Members

Right now it's going between a (almost new) used Yamaha DTxpress III special which i can buy for the same price as a brand new Roland TD-3kw. The Yamaha looks better and holds more stuff but i have read some user reviews that keep complaining about breaking cymbal pads and unnatural sounds. But the fact that it's almost 500$ more expensive should mean something? I can't find very much user info on the Roland so enlighten me?!?

• Members

I have an older TD-5 kit and was playing on the DTX a few times and am not at all impressed. Most all of the Roland components are interchangable with the higher level stuff. I've been contemplating an upgrade as I play a lot of lower volume gigs and the accoustic kit even with cool rods can be too much at times. I can upgrade some of the pads and inputs and use the same module since I have dialed in some sounds that are pretty decent. Eventually I want to get a TD-12 or TD-20 when the prices come down.

I'd go Roland just for future expansion and the more options.

• Members

Roland dude!

Buttttttt--- be careful where you get them from cos you'll be amazed at how different different places do deals on the V-drums.

Also theyre startin to put the mesh snare head on the TD-3 now which they never used to so its all good.

But make sure you check what they include in the package- you dont want to have to buy a main frame and bass pedal when alot of places will include them.

• Members

Originally posted by the DW

Roland all the way.

:thu:

Yamaha is good too, I just think Roland is better - from personal experience.

Yeahyeahyeah, that was i was thinking too, but it is going between the budget Roland and the mid-class Yamaha, there's more then just the name , ay?

• Members

Well, the impression I get is that Roland spent more time and effort to get high quality drum samples into their module. A lot of the Yamaha samples I've heard sound like they were brought over from their synthesizer lineup, as opposed to being purpose-recorded for v-drum use.

Just an opinion based on playing both brands.

My gut feeling is that Roland took into account not just what the audience expects to hear, but what a drummer would expect to hear sitting behind the kit. Sort of a mix of the two, vs. Yamaha's audience oriented approach. Again, just an opinion.

• Members

Just to use the same source for pricing, GC online has the kits and the DTX Special goes for about $1599 and the TD-3SW goes for $995. But a more accurate competitor to the DTX Special would be the TD-6SW V-Tour which sells for $1495. Or for a $1999 you can step up to the TD-6SX V-Tour with all mesh pads and better cymbal triggers. The mesh pads really make difference, much more realistic.

When comparing the TD-6SW V-Tour to the DTX Special, the Roland really stands out in every possible way. The module is way more advanced and realistic sounding, it comes with a mesh snare, it can interact with the higher end Roland components so you can add or modify easily.

My TD-5 was the entry level kit when I bought it 6-7 years ago and is no longer available yet I can get pretty decent and realistic sounds from it by tweaking the many adjustments. This speaks to the abilities of the Roland as the newer modules are even better.

• Members

I have a TD-3. I think the stock sounds are pretty thin, but if you are triggering a sampler via MIDI, then it doesn't matter.

I've slowly upgraded my pads since I bought it 3 years ago. That's where the major investment lies. So if you are going for feel, fork out the extra dough for the mesh pads and the heavier cymbals.

I see the TD-3 now comes with a mesh snare which will save you alot of pain. Those stock cymbals suck pretty bad, though. Hard pads aren't so bad for the toms.

Luckily, you can always upgrade all of that later. Roland kits are pretty flexible. I just picked up the 12" snare for mine, so if anyone wants a PD-80 (8" mesh snare), shoot me a PM!

• Members

I would get a Roland kit over a Yamaha anyday!

I bought a DTXpress back in 2000 and still have it.

I take care of my gear and the bass tower didn't last, I wound up upgrading it with a Roland KD-7 bass trigger.

I also have had issues with one of the cymbal pads.

The DTXpress III that is now out basically has the same samples

my 6 year old DTXpress came with, kinda sad they haven't really done much as per sounds in SIX years! I tried out a DTXpress III at a local store and noticed the kick tower didn't function too well and for some reason there was only one cymbal pad on it (strange coincidence as I had the same issues ).

The Roland kits seem to not only have better quality in terms of pads, but also in sounds. The cymbal samples sound better on Rolands than in the Yamaha.

Your mileage may vary...

• Members

I just tried out the DTXpress, DTXtreme, and TD-6SX kits and all I can say is I'm goin' with Roland...the TD-6s...unless I can find used TD-12s somewhere for a price I can afford (unlikely).

The sound and feel of the lower-end Rolands is a lot nicer than the midline or even topline Yamahas. To me, anyway.

Doesn't really answer your question since you asked about the TD-3s, but in general I'm a heck of a lot more impressed with Roland.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived