Build your own riser!

Watchdog

• Members

I posted this yesterday and didnt get one hit on it, so I figured it was because who wants a cheap riser. Or maybe I am the only one that uses them? Anyway...

I found this link and built this riser in a day. It didn't cost much and tears down easy. It ends up a 6'x4' but I built two and put them together for a 12'x8' here is the link...good site for information as well....http://home.mchsi.com/~sjmills5/drum-riser-plans.html

• Members

Originally posted by Watchdog

I posted this yesterday and didnt get one hit on it, so I figured it was because who wants a cheap riser. Or maybe I am the only one that uses them? Anyway...

I found this link and built this riser in a day. It didn't cost much and tears down easy. It ends up a 6'x4' but I built two and put them together for a 12'x8' here is the link...good site for information as well....
http://home.mchsi.com/~sjmills5/drum-riser-plans.html

I don't know many drummers that haul around their own riser. For me, if the venue doesn't have one, oh well. I like being hidden behind the singers, especially the female ones! :evil::D:D

• Members

The guys I play with say it sounds better because the kick is at the waste, not the ankles, they can "feel" the music. Also, I am not always looking up at them, we are more eye to eye. Plus all drummers should be put up on a pedistal and worshiped. Well, maybe not all....

• Members

I played with a drummer for ages that just used a bunch of those 5 gallon plastic food/paint type containers and put a plywood platform on top. Hinged so it would fold up. All the 5 gal buckets would stack in the box truck, the plywood top folded and stored easily and he put cloth on the front of it for stage/show purposes. He could set up or tear down that thing in about a minute.

• Members

Yeah, a riser isn't all that practical for most of the places we play. I do have one in the basement just to keep the kit off the floor so that if/when the washing machine explodes or the main sewer line backs up, I'll be ok. Still, if you don't mind hauling that setup, it's about as compact as you can get.

For a while I was noodling with the idea of building 4 "half boxes" that could be joined together into two large road cases, and once emptied could be tied together to build a riser. I figure you could build it so that each case was 3'x4'x2' when they were closed up, and then when split in half, each section would make a 3'x4'x1'tall mini-riser. When slid together into one riser, it would measure 6'x8' and would be a foot tall. Obviously you could adjust the dimensions to whatever you wanted, and you'd probably also want to figure out a way to subdivide the interiors of each case so that each part of your kit would have its own cubby hole.

I also saw a company that made one of the coolest risers I've seen in terms of portability. Basically, it consisted of a bunch of plastic tubes measuring anywhere from 8-10 inches in diameter, and a little over a foot tall. Then it had a foldable top piece (or maybe it rolled up...I can't remember exactly). Anyway, all of the tubes nested into each other and fit in a regular tom-sized drum bag. When you got to the gig, you just set up all the tubes and unfolded (or unrolled or whatever) the top piece onto it. If you wanted to get extra fancy, you could put a cloth around the edges to cover up the support system. Supposedly the whole deal weighed next to nothing and was pretty stable. Best of all (like the design that Watchdog posted) it was super-portable.

• Members

As you can see, this plan has been around a while & was last updated in 2002. It's a great idea and can be modified easily for different sizing. My problem, when I was using a large trailer & thought about building one, is finding inexpensive wide boards locally. 12" 3/4 planks? Even in pine shelving, it's special order ;>(

Still, if I wasn't hauling & setting up a PA along with my drums, I make one ;>)

Boomerweps

• Members

Originally posted by boomerweps

Excellent riser !!!!

Must be a PITA using that side door now ;>)

I'd worry about the PA speakers on it though. Likely to cause a bit of vibration on the hollow and not screwed together solid riser.

Boomerweps

Boomer: are you the same ex sub guy who used to post over at drumset.com before it dried up? If so, welcome. If not, welcome anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

Boomer: are you the same ex sub guy who used to post over at drumset.com before it dried up? If so, welcome. If not, welcome anyway.

Guilty. Sometimes boomer, sometimes weps, sometimes both ;>)

"boomer" usually gets taken fast on most forums. And I voluntarily gave it up on the audio boards cause there's a guy with that last name that works for Peavey ;>)

www.drumset.com is not dead, merely in a coma. I still post over there if I can find something worth saying that hasn't been said many times. Or bragging about a new aquisition ;>)

And for the casual bystander:

www.drumset.com was one of the earliest internet drum boards, where this drumriser was first discussed before the plans were laid out AND where Prof. Sound decided to write and proofed his Drum Tuning Bible.

Boomerweps

• Members

Originally posted by boomerweps

Excellent riser !!!!

Must be a PITA using that side door now ;>)

I'd worry about the PA speakers on it though. Likely to cause a bit of vibration on the hollow and not screwed together solid riser.

Boomerweps

The side door is just a storage room, so no "pita" there. I did go ahead and build extra reenforcements under the riser, two just didnt seem like enough. I also screwed down the top, its really stable. One of these days I will take the kit off and put some kind of cover over the wood. Maybe some fake diamond plate, or just speaker carpet. Fot the top I used some foam/puzzle thingy's you can find at a hardware store. They are 2'x2' squares and 4 come in a package for $10. They are used for anti fatige mats to stand on. My kick has never creeped using these, and a nice indentation is left behind so you can put stands and drums right back where the were.

Archived