$30,000 Music Shopping Spree!

WillyRay

• Members

Here's a game we can play.

Suppose you won a $30,000 grant to buy musical instruments and equipment. What would you buy? DW Peart Kit? Or something else?

My list, off the top of my head (ie, I may feel the need to revise after I see some other responses)

5,599.99 - Roland TD20

For practice, mainly and occasional gigging

2,199 - Adams Soloist 4.3 octave Padouk Marimba

I don't need a killer marimba. Just something adequate.

4,180 - Musser M48 Vibes

Hot Stuff!

2529 - Yamaha Rick Marotta Hip Gig

Let's see...

I've still got $15,093 left to spend. I'll have to think about it. Still need cymbals, Congas and Bongos, maybe a couple timpani. Anybody else?

/w

edit: Oh yeah! Gotta get a new full-sized kit or two, too. That.

• Members

could 'equipment' include credit card balances and a down payment on a home?

the only drum gear I need is a coupla cases and some single-braced cymbal stands.

ok, I got it. screw the stands, I'll use the bread to hire minions to carry my gear. And hold all my drums and cymbals while I play them live.

ok. minions it is.

• Members

Originally posted by T Hofmann

could 'equipment' include credit card balances and a down payment on a home?

the only drum gear I need is a coupla cases and some single-braced cymbal stands.

ok, I got it. screw the stands, I'll use the bread to hire
minions
to carry my gear. And hold all my drums and cymbals while I play them live.

ok. minions it is.

I could picture GWAR doing that.:D

• Members

man... thats tough... i think i would buy two kits. a mapex m-birtch one and then a pearl masters mahogany kit. Sabians on the pearl masters and then paistes on the birtch (at minimum four dark energy crashes). i think i would use remo ebony pin batters with ebony ambassador res's on the birtch, and im thinkin coated pins with clear ambassadors on the pearl. totally using evans eq2's for the bass heads on the mapex, and those new powerstroke 3's on the mahogany!! did i mention {censored}loads of octabans??:thu: a pearl sensitone elite brass snare!! oh yhea... and enough mics for all this {censored}!

• Members

I hate to not "play the game" quite right, but if someone gave me 30G and it had to be spent on music stuff, I'd use it for startup capital on a studio-- rent, build in, an assistant... I could probably even afford to buy a good set of mics and pres ;).

And, following the grand tradition of ascademics, the first thing I would do would be to buy time-- my time. I need to get paid for my damn music skills.

So- half for a studio startup, half to pay me to work at it part time for a year. And if I can't get enough clients to keep it running after a year, then I go back to teaching full time.

• Members

Hmmmm...

Plan one would be to spend all $30,000 to purchase a vehicle to transport all our stuff to gigs, and in style. But that's not the best use of funds.

Plan two would be to buy an enclosed trailer ($2000) to haul all the equipment, thus only needing one vehicle for equipment needs. Definately some new PA equipment. Better instruments. A good chunk would go into improving our recording studio.

• Members

Originally posted by scarecrowbob

I hate to not "play the game" quite right, but if someone gave me 30G and it had to be spent on music stuff, I'd use it for startup capital on a studio-- rent, build in, an assistant... I could probably even afford to buy a good set of mics and pres
;)

And, following the grand tradition of ascademics, the first thing I would do would be to buy time-- my time. I need to get paid for my damn music skills.

So- half for a studio startup, half to pay me to work at it part time for a year. And if I can't get enough clients to keep it running after a year, then I go back to teaching full time.

+1

That or a personal scrote washer.:thu:

• Members

Yamaha Maple Customs

Zildjians: Constantinoples, K custom sessions, K custom darks. The Oreintal crash of Doom

Three Hihats 13" KZ dynos, 14" K Mastersounds, 15 A Customs

Congas, Bongos, and Timbales

A Drum throne that not only supports me properly but is sensitive to my needs and knows how to cup me just right. Ah!, I'd never stand up again.:thu:

Oh so many choices I can't decide what else to get yet.

• Members

Originally posted by tripod trilogy

$30,000... would that buy enough airplay to help the band make it big? would that be enough to make a difference?

www.myspace.com/maggieschoiceportland

I'm not in tha know there, but I thihnk that'd give you one add for one week in six major markets.

Which means that, no - it probably wouldn't be enough to break your band.

If you have a good act, though, I bet it would be enough to hire a good enough agent to give you a chance at selling a song for money.

But I'm just a hick, so what'd I know.

• Members

Originally posted by ThePloughman

Thats enough for Ten 1960s Rogers four piece kits (including matching powertone snare drums) in collector quality, in all my favorite colors. And 10 Matching Dynasonic Snare Drums. Or maybe 9. Nine would be ok.

What more is there to life?

NO! NO MORE ROGERS FOR YOU! You need to share.

Archived