OT...ps3

jacarual

• Members

OMG, it's raining and freezing here and you should see the people lined up to get the PS3 that is released tonight. My thermometer says 38 and that's on my window on porch. Our stores don't open untl 10:00 in the morning. They've got tents set up too! And they've been there since 5:00 this morning!!!!:confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by tripod trilogy

hmmph, ps3. i'm only going to camp out for the wii, did you see that you can bowl with that motion sensing controller? never have to pay shoe rental again!

Yah, but then you can't -rent- shoes.

Renting shoes is the only reason I bowl.

I mean, I guess that you could go down to the lanes and rent the shoes and take em home, but I bet they'd get all whiney about taking them out of the joint.

In fact I know they do. I was like, hey man-- I'm just going across the street to that hotel with my friend here we'll be back in less than an hour. I even pointed out that the clensing spray would take care of -any- problems.

In the end, I had to give the guy 30$ and a credit card deposit. He said that I could just keep them, cause really they only cost 25$ for him, but I'm a model citizen who can't bring himself to steal, and it really wouldn't be renting them if I "bought" them anyway. If you buy shoes, you can't -rent- shoes.

And renting shoes is the only reason I bowl.

• Members

Motion sensing has been done before. it's nothing new. And nintendo has an incredibly {censored}ty title selection. RE4 was amazing, but that was the first game in ages that had come out...that was good. I dunno about you, but i really don't like playing as a teddy bear that jumps on things.

ps3 is going to have MGS4...if i had the dough, i'd pay 500 bucks just for that game alone.

• Members

i don't have the patience for any extended periods of video game playing, or more to the point, i'm not willing to spend the time that it takes to get good at a game. I didn't even know that the ps3 was coming out. Although i guess it probably isnt out here in Aus. yet anyway. Haven't bought any console since the xbox and i never use that for games anyway, just got it chipped and plugged it into my network so i can run media files and movies and {censored} off it.

• Members

Originally posted by zarazabas

i don't have the patience for any extended periods of video game playing, or more to the point, i'm not willing to spend the time that it takes to get good at a game. I didn't even know that the ps3 was coming out. Although i guess it probably isnt out here in Aus. yet anyway. Haven't bought any console since the xbox and i never use that for games anyway, just got it chipped and plugged it into my network so i can run media files and movies and {censored} off it.

You gotta dig deep to get the gems.

Buy Ninja Gaiden Black.:love: you'll be a changed man.

• Members

Originally posted by 1001gear

GT4 and I'm good. What's Blue Ray tech?

Nice. Don't know if you're being serious or not, but Blu-ray is this new disc storage device which is basically a suped up dvd with more storage capacity and whatnot...great.

• Members

Originally posted by kvon

Nice. Don't know if you're being serious or not, but Blu-ray is this new disc storage device which is basically a suped up dvd with more storage capacity and whatnot...great.

Which is funny since we don't even use the limits of current DVD technology.

You can hold something like 18GB on one DVD Disk...which is a stupid amount of data...

One could easily fit the entire season on CSI on one disk, but no, in order for the customer to feel like they are getting their money's worth (and for them to charge more...) they make it a 5+ disk set...

• Members

you can only put 4.7 gigs on a single layer DVD disc, dvd players do not read dual layer. DVDs now only get to about 480p in resolution.

A blu-ray disc can store in excess of 50GB PER LAYER!!!! So that means you get 1080p lines of resolution. Thats a big deal because thats pure HD right there. xBox already had Surround sound back in the day, xbox 360 has surround sound and does 720p/1080i (almost high def), and PS3 kicks it in the butt with Blu-ray high def dvds and high def gaming w/ surround sound.

The $500 ps3 doesnt come with an HDMI output which nullifies all the 1080p crap that sets it above the 360, so you're essentially forced to buy the $600 ps3 if you care to have the better console.

Anyway, lesson over.

• Members

Originally posted by 1001gear

GT4 and I'm good. What's Blue Ray tech?

This new console war has the XBox 360 using standard DVD and HD DVD while Sony moved to Blu-Ray. It basically comes down to storage space and the ability to access the information quickly.

The Blu-Ray disc can hold multiple times the info of a standard DVD, so Sony argues that it will be able to have better quality games because of the boost in size.

Meanwhile, Microsoft is using the standard DVDs, because in reality, current gen and next gen games are only scratching the surface of storage capacity on DVDs. Plus a standard or HD DVD can access information much quicker than a Blu-Ray disc.

I'm an XBox 360 guy myself, and I would probably get the Nintendo Wii before the Playstation 3, because I feel that Sony is using technology that is still in it's infancy and up in the air as to whether it will be successful (think laserdisc and Neo-Geo). Plus the price point is crazy high.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we saw 3rd party publishers making their games available to all systems. I can already play Oblivion on my 360, why do I need a Playstation 3 to play it on that, too? The Nintendo is pretty innovative, so I believe that they've positioned themselves well to be a second console, after the primary 360/PS3. Good idea from them, considering the bomb that was the GameCube.

Yeah, I'm a gamer. Yeah, I'm a nerd.

P.S.

Gears of War kicks major ass.:thu:

• Members

This is a very interesting and dear to me topic...

Someone mentioned "why don't they play music" ...

My singer/guitarist/primary song writer is one of those CRAZY MF who has been camped out for 1.5 days to get a PS3. He happens to be a phonomnial musician who has a Video game addiction. (doesn't smoke, drink. or do drugs...but will stand in 25 degree weather for a new video game system).

I'd make a comment about spending his money on gear, but he's also a gear freak. He's home studio is nicer than most studios anyone has ever been to. ( G5 Mac, 2 DW collectors 7 piece kits, every amp you could imagine..neve pre-amps for recording...etc..)

( there are pics of the studio on our myspace page at www.myspace.com/goluckymusic )

In summation, it is possible to be a closet uber-nerd and still play music and get girls!!!

DB

• Members

Originally posted by FunkyJunc

you can only put 4.7 gigs on a single layer DVD disc, dvd players do not read dual layer. DVDs now only get to about 480p in resolution.

Respectfully, if you are going to teach lessons, you should at least get your facts stright.

A single layer DVD holds 4.7 GB. A dual-layer DVD holds almost 9 GB.

All DVD players read both, but it has only been in the last two or three years that the technology for burning (as opposed to mechanically pressing) a dual layer disc has become wide spread. Now it is not uncommon to find DVD burners that burn dual layer discs.

Unfortuantely, the dual layer media (as far as recall the last time I was shopping for bulk discs) was far more expensive to buy.

We -do- use dual layer discs for almost every commercial DVD, and it is still a comprimise in quality. It is my belief that the MPAA worked against widespread dual layer technology DVDr technology becasue it allows for people to make easy 1-to-1 copies of commercial DVDs; if you don't have a dual layer recorder, you basically have to reauthor a DVD in order to make a set-top playible disc.

But as far as the sizxe of programming code-- most ganes are much smaller than the playible media that comes with them-- a computer (in that case, console game system) only has a certain amount of memory and processor resources, so the code for the program can only be so complex.

As to resolution, it is largely dependant on NTSC spec for the player side the player side and compression setting on the author side. Both of these are compromises of HD.

It is correct to write that all of an entire season of a show could be put into one DVD-- well, you -could- put the entire series of all the CSIs onto one CDr, if you didn't mind compressing them to the point of almost unintelligiblility. (think about the difference between, say the digital recording you have on CD and the digital recordings you answering machine makes).

The problem is that when you start to compress stuff, it loses quality. People can get away with a lot of compression when putting stuff out for home TV playback-- NTSC SD TV is not an high definition format, so they compress a lot.... but I imagine that even when we (as a culture) switch to Blu-Ray it will be comencerant with us switching th HD TVs, so you'll stuill see the discs coming out with multiple discs per season. But it has nothing to do with percieved value and everything to do with descisions about how high a resolution the material can be played back at.

Archived