Thinking about buying a Jazz Kit ...

FunkyJunc

• Members

So I want your opinions on what to buy for a new jazz kit. I have my big old kit for whatever, but I think I want a little 4 piece. Im thinking 18 bass, 10 tom, 14 tom. I dont know wether or not I want a 20 bass though. What do you guys think?

Also, what kit should I get. I was looking into the Yamaha Tour customs and that set up (the three pieces listed) will cost me ~550 bones. The kits made out of an asian maple (basically mahogany).

I dont want a sonor.

• Members

Yamaha tour customs make some very nice jazz kits, as do the Gretsch Catalina'a have some good jazz kits. I got a 20" bass, because I already had a 22" bass, and I wanted to jazz up my kit. I love the 20" bass now, and would never play anything else right now, but it really lends itself less to jazz than an 18". I have often thought of try and find a decent used 18" bass drum because, my 20" didn't really satisfy my jazz urge. So, if your really going for a jazz kit, for jazz, go for the 18" bass. It really sings, and doesn't sound as small as people think. I love 18" bass drums. Can never go wrong with the 20", very versatile ive found, but for a true jazz kit, you need that 18" bass drum vibe. That would be my suggestion. I have to say, that in all my experience with jazz band, in school and stuff, besides my DW's, I have always had a fondness for Yamaha. They really make great jazz kits. The college that I work at has yamaha drums for the jazz band, and they sing, just like the ones from high school. But the Gretsch jazz size Catalina kits are priced right, and sound even righter, if that makes any sense. If you got dough, nothing beats some of these boutique companies, like Modern Drum Company, or whatever, You can really go to town and make a nice jazz kit, true one of a kinds. Hell, I recommend DW's, they always sing. But, something inside me wants to stick with the whole Yamaha jazz sound thing. But in the end, I'm sure all companies have fine jazz sized kits, you just gotta find your right sound. Yamaha, or DW. :thu:

• Members

that is one sexy drum kit :eek: :eek: . Looks like they followed suit with Yamahas hipgig series.

I dont really have a budget. If I want it, I will save.

The reason I dont want to use the kit I have now is cause its huge and piecing it apart and back together for something like little coffee shop gigs seems rediculous. Plus my kit is all birch (except the snare which I will use on both kits) so it has this nice round controlled sound. I want an open sound like mahogany or maple.

Im considering the 20 bass cause I have a 20 birch on my kit now and MAN I love it. Its punchy with some EMADS and really controlled with something like a PS3. But ... an 18 is pure jazz.

I looked into the Gretch actually. The last time I played a gretch it sounded like I was in a tunnel. It just RANG, kinda left a bad tase in my mouth. Im sure it had a lot to do with who set the kit up and heads, but I felt it was excessive.

I appreciate the help guys.

• Members

"Jazz Kit" huh?

SHORT RESPONSE:

````````````````

Get a classic Gretsch. here's a drool worthy showroom.

Steve Maxwell

LONG RESPONSE:

`````````````````

ME:

I got the Gretsch Catalina Club kit a few months back. I've been slowly working on a review of it, and this may inspire me to finish it and post it as a new thread. It's the '06 version, so it has split lugs and a BD lifter. It comes with Coated G1s on top and some clear resononat on bottom.

I put Coated Ambassadors on the tops and put the coated G1s on the the reso side. I then proceeded to tune 'em to their lowest zone to play an all Beatles set. They worked just fine un-mic'd in a big room. I then proceeded to tune 'em way high (see first post in 'Drum Dial Settings' thread). They work great up in that zone! Instant Joe Morello!

WHAT DO YOU WANT:

This begs the question, what do you really want out of this kit?

You play a kit that has a certain tuning and sound to it, so it's understandable that a couple of small drums with single play heads may sound really "open" to you. Do you want a kit with a totally different character, or do you want a kit that's easy to move around?

Portability:

If you are looking for easy travel, my first point is, plan on picking up some lightweight hardware. You can really lighten the load, and make the totally package a little smaller if you get some lightweight stands.

Second point, if you like the drums you have now, and just want to be more portable, why not get the sizes you want in what you have already? You could add them into your kit for all sorts of whacky configurations!

BASSDRUMS:

Go for an 18" BD. I, and theDW, will tell you that an 18" on a lifter is a great sounding drum, and can be used for a lot more than just "Jazz". So don't feel limited by having an 18" BD...and, to get that nice tuneful non-threatening 'Bop' tone, the 18" is the way to go. Hell, try a 16"er if you really want to go for it. (The downside of 16" are the availability of specifically designed BD heads in that size.)

There is a pretty good discussion of the merits of 20"BDs somewhere around here ('the 20" bassdrum' thread, or is it the 'Bass Drum Setup' thread, I dunno right now). My $.02 is if you have a 22" and love it, then don't bother with a 20". If you were redoing your whole quiver, then I'd recomend a 20".

KITS:

I was looking for more 'cheap and portable', than "Jazz", so here are a couple observations. If you just want a nice 181214, go with any of the classic makers in maple or mahagony.

HipGig: each model has it's own merits, all of which are good for what you want it's just a matter of your priorities(and they're Yamaha)

Rydeen: the 18" BD kit with cymbal holder. may not be very-high-quality, but they will definitley do the job. this is ALMOST like more "normal" HipGig.

Gretsch Catalina Club: classic "jazz" sizes and tone, not a 'super-portable' kit, but definitely easy to move around, shoddy chrome work

Drummers World Nesting Kit: These are crafted out of maple shells in the shop, the guy who builds them plays his personal set every night, totally customizable in sizes and finishes etc. and not stupid expensive

Other custom nesters: I've seen some other custom shops offer pre-congiured "portable" kits, but I have no experience with them.

• Members

Originally posted by Fiery Furnace

A FOAF once took a monster sized rock kit and threw away the bass drum.

Floor tom for BD, big rack tom for floor, little rack tom for rack tom to make his little jazz kit.

Weird!

the confguration is cool...getting rid of a BD is really weird.

• Members

Originally posted by Fiery Furnace

Well, he probably sold it or something... I didn't mean threw it away literally
:D

Oh, yeah, I hope so. I just say that, because I now have 5 BDs.

18" Gretsch Catalina

20" Slingerland

22" Rogers B-n-B

22" Tama Rockstar Pro

26" Ludwig steel

• Members

Wow, those nesting drums are great!! But I dont need them to be THAT portable ...

I guess thats the price range Im looking at. 1000 bones for a 3 piece would be perfect. I have to call and tell them not to cut my kit in half!

I really want that damn DW ... ugh

• Members

Originally posted by FunkyJunc

Wow, those nesting drums are great!! But I dont need them to be THAT portable ...

I guess thats the price range Im looking at. 1000 bones for a 3 piece would be perfect. I have to call and tell them not to cut my kit in half!

If you are going to be in NYC, you should check out the shop. It's gotta be the home of the tiny kit. It's frickin' Manhattan! who has room for drums?

It doesn't have to be a nester. I talked to the guy who makes 'em and he said he'd build anything you want. They do all sorts of work there. If you did want a nester, you can customize the whole deal. He's experimented with a bunch of stuff (shell thickness, etc.) and could offer suggestions (guidence).

I had to get some BD T-Rods, so he just went in the back and grabbed a bag off of the work bench. That's not the kinda thing you see at Guitar Center.

• Members

That DW kit is great .... hes not so bad either

I love trading fours.

I acalled about Drummers World and they're awesome. They're willing to do just about anything, including matching hardware that Ive already got. Im thinking that was an excellent idea Foot.

The reason I said the Sonor thing is cause Aqua is always pitching the sonor drums. Just a little fun. ;)

• Members

That dw kit he's playing looks like the same sizes as the picture above, just a wrap finish instead of lacquer.

You know, if you went with a wrap finish, you could probably get a dw bop kit for a fairly reasonable price. Just use your existing snare and cymbal stands, and order the bass drum, rack tom and floor tom, with bd mounted cymbal holder. Probably get away for about $1800 - $2000....but you'd have to wait 6 months for it to arrive.

And just to be an asshole about it, here it is again!

Natural-Birch.jpg

:D:D

• Members

Originally posted by the DW

Same kit, in Champagne Glass wrap:

CG.jpg

Those shells are pretty, but what I really like is the hardware; I have the 4000 highhat pedal, and it packs up really small as well as being really light. But it's still quite solid. If I ever need to buy stands again, I'm going with that hardware.

• Members

Originally posted by scarecrowbob

Those shells are pretty, but what I really like is the hardware; I have the 4000 highhat pedal, and it packs up really small as well as being really light. But it's still quite solid. If I ever need to buy stands again, I'm going with that hardware.

I'm with you, Bob. droolin over the stands.

so you're giving the flat-bottom hatstand the thumbs up? maybe I'll consider it...

• Members

UGH I want a DW!!! I have Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Everytime I see something nice I want it. Its hard to say that those DW kits arent gorgeous with the sound to back it up.

The Drummers World kit is all keller shells, same sizes AND he'd be willing to use Yamaha mounting hardware so I can use the same tom arms!! If I go all out and get a fully customized 4 piece (18, 10, 14, and 14x6.5) all keller maple shells the whole thing will run me like 1700. Man that looks like a great price. We'll see how it goes. Im gonna try to make it down to manhattan by january.

Archived