I think Catalina Maple set is my next step

whiskee

• Members

... next step from a beginner set.

http://www.thomann.de/fi/gretsch_catalina_maple_allround_set.htm

I can't afford much classier stuff, but if I just sell stuff like my Pearl FF snare, it's going to be a steal. :thu: And before you ask, no these are not common in here and i haven't seen a used kit like this.

edit: maybe the birch kit if i win gambling. ;)

http://www.thomann.de/fi/gretsch_catalina_birch_standard_dw.htm

• Members

Like mentioned before, if the maple in the kit is something other than NA rock maple (like asian maple or something else) the density and acoustical qualities of the wood deminish. If you get a nice birch kit it will be more expensive than the OK maple kit. I didnt look at the link, are they used kits?

• Members

Originally posted by whiskee

I can't afford much classier stuff, but if I just sell stuff like my Pearl FF snare, it's going to be a steal.
:thu:
And before you ask, no these are not common in here and i haven't seen a used kit like this.

unless you've decided you really don't care for your Free Floater, I'd imagine you'll regret selling it someday.

Seems to me the snare drums you buy individually are often nicer than snares made to match a particular drumkit.

also, does it drive you Eurpoeans nuts referring to drum sizes in inches? I've never heard any eurodrummers talking about their 30cm rack toms...

• Members

Definately check out the birch. Personally I like the birch better tonally. Maple is the fav cause it has the projection needed for gigs and live stuff, among other things. My kit is always in a close environment or its being miced, and so I choose the birch for the immediate quality in the sound, not the projected quality of the sound. I think its underated.

Archived