DISREGARD!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO THIS

mraia

• Members

Originally posted by cheeseadiddle

I saw it.
:eek:

Turn away. Im hideous:eek:

No I really cant figure out how to say what I was trying to say. I guess the point was that Im wondering about the retail price of things versus what you can actually buy it for.

If a place advertises a sale of 50% off, then shouldnt it be 50% off of what you could normally buy if for, rather than the list price?

• Members

I wish I would have seen your original post...

What is it you're buying???:confused:

I consider myself a thrifty but very confident shopper in the things I buy. I will shop until I know I'm getting the best price for what I am looking for. I hate when people advertise something at 50% off and it only ends up being $10.00 off their regular price - that is not a sale!!!:thu:

• Members

oh ok. I'll repost and try and explain myself better.

I went to the Long Island Drum Center today and got a drum dial.

They are having a 50% sale on Paistes, so I inquired about a 20' 2002 ride. $200. So that tells me they normally sell it for $400.

Went to GC later on, same cymbal, not on sale, $250.

The holidays are coming, and my family usually hooks me up with gift Certificates, and they want to know what store I like.

Im wondering what store will have the better deals, after the holidays, and whether that 50% was off the retail price rather than their normal price.

Kind of a silly question, but you know. Im a little slow.

:confused:

• Members

Yeah, I hate it when stores play the price game until they got you believing you might be getting a sale. That's why it pays to stay up on prices.

There's been quite a few times when I've been in a "large" shop and the sales guy has told me, "that's on sale for $249.99 this weekend," and I've had to tell them that I can buy it every weekend for $220 down the road. What can they say to that? "Wow!" Is usually their response. And if they try to dazzle me with their brilliance and say that it can't be the same model, then I start putting them on the spot with my usually superior knowledge of the product. The GC and Sam Ash jerk offs will tell you anything to make themselves look important. There is only one guy I've dealt with in those stores that has any credibility at all in my book. The rest may as well be working at McDonalds.

I was in one last week looking for heads. I wanted Aquarian Satin Texture Coated single plies. Nothing special. I may as well been asking for a gold plated 1964 Ludwig Supersensitive snare drum. If I had wanted Evans EC2's or Remo Pinstripes, I could have got them til the cows came home. And this guy had the nerve to start giving me an attitude because I wanted single ply coated heads! He says, "You just want what you want, and you are one of those finicky players who just has to have a particular item. We can't get everything for everyone." Can you frickin' believe that? Coated single ply heads.

• Members

Thats amazing, but not surprising!! Your supposed to feel like a dick for wanting what you want!

Finicky player indeed! Your the friggin customer. I hate when they think they know what you need better than you do.

The thing that got me is Ive endorsed the LIDC lots of times here, and I kind of bugs me that theyre trying to, not so much scam me, but not truly be honest with me.

Oh well. Maybe I just buy it, save $50 and leave it at that. They can charge anything they want.

But...sticks in my craw.

• Members
Originally posted by mraia

oh ok. I'll repost and try and explain myself better.

I went to the Long Island Drum Center today and got a drum dial.

They are having a 50% sale on Paistes, so I inquired about a 20' 2002 ride. $200. So that tells me they normally sell it for $400.

Went to GC later on, same cymbal, not on sale, $250.

The holidays are coming, and my family usually hooks me up with gift Certificates, and they want to know what store I like.

Im wondering what store will have the better deals, after the holidays, and whether that 50% was off the retail price rather than their normal price.

So, their normal everyday price isn't really $400.00, that's just the retail price right. GC does the exact same thing and I've seen it alot - I'm in that store at least once a week if not more. If GC had the same sale, it would also be $200.00 so, I always deal with the two people there that I'm familiar with. One I know outside of the store and the other just from going in there so much. I do always ask them though what my best price would be. Always ask when nobody else is around and they always beat their published sale prices for me.

:thu:

• Members

I just went to GC to get my drum dial. I asked the kid behind the counter if he has ever used one ( thinking he would show me how to use it, cause I never seen one) he said

"I got one at home and I wouldn't be caught dead without one".

I told him

"OK, open one up and show me how to use it"

He immediately told me that the other guy that works in drums knows how to use it better than he did, but hes on break.

So I told him I would wait until he got back from break.

The guy got scared and as I was shopping around, I saw him take it out of the package and read up on it and then came over to me and pretend he new how to use it.

The only reason I asked him how to use it cause I never seen and used one. So I had to take the guys word when he was showing me.

Like Cheeseadiddle said some of them should be working at McDonalds. Do they work on comission, that he had to lie to me to get the sale? I should of told him I am going to buy this, can you please show me how it works.:p

• Members

whether that 50% was off the retail price rather than their normal price.

That's really not a silly question...

I often wondered that myself and found out it is generally 50% off of the retail price (at most all retail stores)...

Anytime you can get 50% off of the retail price on a new unused item it is generally a good deal...

Most of the time a retailer has to pay 15 to 30 % of retail price for the item , and then pay for handling ,shipping , storeing ,employees and all the other fees in running a store...

So if a retailer sells his item for 60% off of retail they are only pretty much keeping the doors open ... If they sell for 50% off of retail they may or might make a mere 10% for themselves...

At 50% off of retail, it is pretty much clearing stock to make room for the new stock...

When a retailer sells an item for 51% or more of the retail price anything over 51% is is pretty much clear profit for the retailer...

So try to keep in mind, if a store is having a 30% off sale they are probably only making a 20% profit...

• Members

Got it Tangman. ...

ermm wasnt me dude haha.

I also get a bit confused by prices in store's. Im not sure but I THINK that the manufacturer gives the retailer a recommended selling price and this is what is classified as "retail" price but the "retail" price is a bit of a pisstake.

I always see the "*x cymbal* sale" sign in the drum store I got to.

In this case theyre claiming to sell Sabian cymbals for about upto 50% lower than retail price. I looked at the prices for some of the AAX cymbals and they are all normal UK prices (roughly

• Members

Just fyi:

I've noticed that in music stores, when the talk about "25% off" or "50% off", they are usually referring to a discount from 'list' price. I've never been to a shop that wouldn't at least give 20% off of list to folks who just walk in the door, and 25% off of list to repeat customers.

50% off of list is pretty close to dealer cost (when shipping and inventory costs are factored in).

Just stuff I've observed. Your mileage may vary.

• Members

Originally posted by iDrum4ever

mraia - Did you buy the cymbal man?

50% off. That's a good deal
:D

Sadly no. I got the drum dial, some sticks, a few clamps for the rack, ran up enough cash with just that stuff.

Holidays are coming, and I usually get gift certs to GC from the family, so I'll get the cymbals then.

I'll probably pay a little more, but I can deal with it. Theres usually some type of after xmas sale.

• Members

Sadly no. I got the drum dial, some sticks, a few clamps for the rack, ran up enough cash with just that stuff.

Holidays are coming, and I usually get gift certs to GC from the family, so I'll get the cymbals then.

I'll probably pay a little more, but I can deal with it. Theres usually some type of after xmas sale.

Does GC have a regularly stocked supply of rudes?

• Members

Originally posted by aqualung211

Does GC have a regularly stocked supply of rudes?

Funny you should ask. I didnt see a single one. plenty of Alphas (whats the story with them anyway?) and Signatures, a few 2002's but I didnt see Rudes.

Is that your pie of choice?

I like those meself.

• Members

Funny you should ask. I didnt see a single one. plenty of Alphas (whats the story with them anyway?) and Signatures, a few 2002's but I didnt see Rudes.

Is that your pie of choice?

I like those meself.

Well i've yet to decide on that....i want to try a few after me and tangs conversation. The power ride has piqued my curiosity.:D

Archived