Looking for advice on a new kit between $500 - $1000

Stinkfoot

• Members

I'm primarily a guitar/bass player. I'm moving to a house that has a partial basement that I plan to turn into a jam room/studio. I have played drums in the past but I've never owned a good set before. I have since sold most of my old drums and the stuff I have left is in really poor condition. So I'm planning to start over and get a mid level kit to use mainly for practice but also to record with. My buddy has a Tama kit that I think he payed around $700 for that is pretty good quality and sounds good. I forget if it was a swingstar or a superstar but it was "something" star.

As a seasoned guitarist, I am familiar with how different woods make different guitars sound, but when it comes to drums I'm not sure what wood combinations are best for what styles. I like a kit that can be used in a hard rock setting if needed but mainly I like a jazzier/funkier sound. Also, I don't want anything that's going to be too thin or weak sounding. I know I'll want to add decent cymbals, so I'm hoping to spend betweein$400 - $700 on the kit and another $200 - $300 on accessories. Basically my budget is $500 - $1000 total. It would be nice to get something that will last. Can I even get a decent set at this price or should I be looking for something used? Any advice is appreciated.

Oh yeah, some of the drummers I like are: Dennis Chambers, Brendan Canty, Stephen Perkins, George Hurley, Tim Alexander, etc.

• Members

DW Neil Peart kit. :idea:

Seriously, if it were me with that budget I'd keep an eye out for a used kit on Craigslist and the local papers. If you are patient, you'll score better quality drums for your money that way than if you bought new. Watch for the usual suspects, Tama, Yamaha, Gretsch, Mapex, Sonor. I'd list Pearl, but only if you stay away from the deluge of Forum kits you'll find. If you see a nice BRX kit, by all means grab it. But you should be able to find a used but not abused set of Tama SCP's, mid grade Yammies, any of the newer foreign made Gretsch kits, Mapex Pro M's, Sonor 3003's or 3005's, etc...

The key to winning at this deal is patience. If you got to have it yesterday, you won't find a nice used kit. You'll have to settle for a lower quality new kit.

• Members

The responses you've gotten already, should have you well on your way to market. :thu: ...it's going to come down to a personal 'taste' thing.....and many, long-standing drum companies, will be waiting with open arms.....Yamaha...DW...Pearl...Sonor.....

I've used, and still use kits by Sonor and Pearl.....one of each...both used equal amounts....picked up the Pearl kit second hand, 5+ yrs. ago.....the Sonors, second hand, 1 yr. ago...:thu:

.......upon adding the Sonors to my Two-Kit Collection, of kits, I realized.....I've no need to ever purchase another kit....ever...:thu::wave::cool:

• Members

I second yamaha and pearls. Even the tamas are a good bet. For the sound I would go with the yamahas. I a little biased though ... good value for money. I heard a set of rydeens that I was amazed with the other day. With good heads and some time spent tuning you cant go wrong. The rydeens are only 500 too so that gives you some room to run for cymbals. Starter packs are good to get you goin. Not too expensive either.

Go search for used kits. Feel free to post links here for professional review if you dont know how to judge the kit.

;)

• Members

Originally posted by FunkyJunc

Ithat gives you some room to run for cymbals. Starter packs are good to get you goin. Not too expensive either.

I've got a hunch that in about six months we'll all be recommending those new Dream Cymbals pies to beginners as having a great bang to buck ratio.

/w

Archived