What beginner drum set method book do you recommend?

Kerouac

• Members

Hi guys...

I need to find a couple of different beginner drum set methods to use for my beginner students. I teach only beginning drums and those students will later on be transferred to one of two other teachers.

I've been using excerpts from some of my personal drum books, but haven't really found a method that I like. Any good suggestions?

• Members

My drum teacher had two:

Alfred's Snare Drum Method

Carmine Appice's Realistic Rock Drumming

We split time 50/50 between snare and set work for most of the four years I studied with him.

I think I have a copy of that Alfred book around my house somewhere. I'll check into the Carmine Appice book. :thu:

• Members

I think the Carmine book would be good. Can be used to help a kid learn to read, too... in conjunction with some reading-specific curricula.

/w

Awesome book for begginers. If they want to start "playing drums" asap it's the way to go. Some people want to be stimulated quickly and know they're progressing, rudiments on a snare and stick excersizes can bore them quickly. They'll be playing decent beats quickly with that book. I started out on it and i think it's a great way to start.

• Members

I use the following books for beginning drumset students.

1. Drumset Musician by Rod Morgenstein/Rick Mattingly

This book takes the student through 1/4 note rhythms, 1/8 note rhythms, 16th note rhythms to 1/8 note triplet rhythms and fills. At the end of each section, the student learns to read and play a chart with the CD that's included. I feel if any student can get through this book, then they can handle almost anything and begin to play in a "rock" band with the exception of any double bass drumming.

2. Eighth Notes Around the Drums/Joel Rothman

I use this book for two main reasons. 1.) It's gets the student hitting other drums than just the snare and or bass. 2.) It builds confidence because it's fairly easy and I like to have my students taste success even if they might stuggle with the coordination aspects of the playing the rhythms from the book above. This book is mainly two columns on each page of one measure 1/8 note rhythms. Once the student can handle playing the music as written, then I have them play 3 measures of time(time= 1/8's on HH, 2 and 4 on SN and 1 and 3 on BD) and use each 1 figure as a one measure fill using each column. Then I have them play two measures of time and put the two columns together for a two measure fill. They do this exercise using the CD from the book above with a tune that's tempo is 70 bpm = 1/4 note.

3. Berklee Method/Drumset/ Casey Scheurell

This book teaches the student different styles of music from 1/8 note rock, 12/8 blues shuffle, double shuffle, 16th note funk, bossa nova and jazz. They learn to read a chart, play in time with the CD and learn styles that will come in handy when the hit the stage.

The Carmine Appice book Realistic Rock in my opinion is an intermediate book. I use it after some of the books above to teach and develop Bonham-like 16th note triplet bass drum figures.

• Members

Roy Burns Method / Rudiment sheet

Stick Control after they've been playing for a while

Lolz. I think the Burns book w/LP is the only drumset primer I've ever looked at. It did serve its purpose as I recall. I think the OP should confer with the other teachers and develop a seamless transition for his students.

• Members

I use the following books for beginning drumset students.

1. Drumset Musician by Rod Morgenstein/Rick Mattingly

This book takes the student through 1/4 note rhythms, 1/8 note rhythms, 16th note rhythms to 1/8 note triplet rhythms and fills. At the end of each section, the student learns to read and play a chart with the CD that's included. I feel if any student can get through this book, then they can handle almost anything and begin to play in a "rock" band with the exception of any double bass drumming.

Sounds just like the Appice book to me.

• Members

I always wondered how well people did starting on a full kit. I played just a snare for the first three years of my drumming, and find it hard to imagine starting on a kit right off the bat. I started out playing along with sheet music to alt rock mix cd's when I got lessons on set.

• Members

What? No love for Dowd's "A Funky Primer"?

A classic and a must for beginners.

That's an excellent book that I have yet to incorporate into my teaching. I probably see it as more of an intermediate book because of the difficulty of some of the rhythms, but I would like to incorporate some of the pages in the beginning of the book for a warmup exercise. It would be helpful in learning to play 32nd notes.

• Members

Not sure if you can still find it, but there is an old book called Rockin' Bass Drum. Killer, killer book and suitable for beginners (although it goes pretty far).

Realistic Rock is one of the best ever.

And since you said drumset specifically, I won't mention Stick Control.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Realistic Rock has been my go-to for all new students for the last 16 years I've been teaching.

It starts with basic 8th note drum set patterns and moves from there, covering all the basics of everything you would need to know.

Only thing it lacks is rudiments, so for that I have print outs, or you can go to PAS.org and print them yourself.

Archived