Quick & Powerful Sticks

Jarick

• Members

I've been using Vater Super Jazz for the last year or so (16 1/4" length, .555" diameter), and have been happy with them. I'd like to add a more powerful stick, but can't really find a good compromise.

I was given a pair of Vic Firth 5B's (16" length, .595" diameter), and they were surprisingly well balanced and had a bigger sound. But they feel too thick as I have smaller hands. I played a bunch of sticks, including the 55A, at the store last night, but couldn't find a nice compromise.

I think I'm looking for something in the 15 3/4" to 16" range, maybe .575-.585". Something quick and with a solid backbeat. Would like to stick with Vater as they have great durability and feel, but open to other brands. I've tried to find something off the websites, but nothing's jumping out at me.

Any ideas?

• Members

I went from playing in a rockabilly/Texas swing band to a modern country, rock and roll/blues type band and a Stones cover band, so I needed a bigger stick that would prevent my hands from hurting while giving me a strong sound with the lightness of a 5A. I went from using a Vic Firth 5A to a 3A and I've been happy. It's a pretty versatile stick. Almost the dimensions that you're looking for, 16 3/16 -.580.

• Members

I really love Jojo Mayer's stick from Vic Firth. It's about a half inch shorter (15 21/64") than the average length of a 5A, but it feels like it's between a 5A and a 5B (.577). They're made out of hickory and feel super light. Different pairs vary in weight; I have a pair that feels as light as 7A's, but others that are heavier. The weight and length makes it great for smaller hands, but don't feel too skinny either.

• Members

I was eyeing down the Jojo Mayer sticks...they look kinda short though. Maybe I'll pick up a pair and see how they do.

I have 707, 747, Extreme 5A, and a couple other sticks, and they are all feeling too long and unbalanced.

Those Danny Carey's I have sitting around really make the drums huge sounding though...just way too big.

I'll check out the 3A and 55A's again...want to see if I can find one of those Vater Matrix pairs too.

• Members

I was eyeing down the Jojo Mayer sticks...they look kinda short though. Maybe I'll pick up a pair and see how they do.

I have 707, 747, Extreme 5A, and a couple other sticks, and they are all feeling too long and unbalanced.

Those Danny Carey's I have sitting around really make the drums huge sounding though...just way too big.

I'll check out the 3A and 55A's again...want to see if I can find one of those Vater Matrix pairs too.

Hey there, I usually hang around the guitar forums (though I am a drummer too), and yes, the Jojo Mayers are very short sticks. I started using them about 3 years ago, and they are good sticks, but sometimes they seem a little too short. I notice it mostly when I try getting to the floor tom with a traditional grip ... also note that I make a leg sandwich with my snare a floor tom, and they are also level with each other. However, they are pretty amazing if you usually play with a matched grip. The response is like no other and they have all the power you could ever need. Of course, that's until the tip gets worn down (which is fast), or until the stick breaks (also fast). So that brings me to my next point ... I stopped using those and I now use Vater Excels, which are a very similar stick but they last MUCH longer. The pair I'm currently using grew little bits of mold from my sweat and being left in my basement, so I washed them up nice and good, they swelled a little bit, and this was sometime during the Fall. Up until maybe a month ago, they were splinter-free, and now they are ready to be replaced but they still work just fine.

Anyways, if you're interested in trying the Jojo Mayer sticks, I highly recommend trying the Vaters as well. They are just a much higher quality stick in my opinion, and up until I tried them I was a die-hard Vic Firth fan. The only problem is you probably won't find them in stores, so you'll probably have to order them online, which kind of sucks if you enjoy convenience.

• Members

If you want a ballsier tone, just go with a large stick. You'll absorb the extra physical requirements in no time.

Yeah I agree. I am a life time (practically) VF 5B user and like you Jarick, I'd say I have smaller hands and I don't find a problem with them. They are not rock monster tree trunks but they do have that weight that gives you a pumpin backbeat...and if you back off them they can even do a respectable job at jazz.

Play em for a while and if in the end you can't adjust then think of some of the other options.

And personally I found Vater to be nearly identical to VF in both feel and wear. Vater 5B's felt a little thicker to me....so I stay with VF but it was hardly different at all.

• Members

If you want to stay with Vater, try the Fatback (16"/.590) or Universal (16 1/4"/.595). They're nearly the same stick (shape, tip) just the Universal is bigger. Vater's .595 probably isn't the exact same diameter as VF's 5B .595, but the Universal doesn't feel too huge while playing. Pretty fast for its size and gives a big sound.

I'd also recommend the Regal Tip 9A (16"/.580). Feels fast and strong, but isn't too long and the tip gives great ride sounds. It's a great stick and wears well too.

• Members

Yeah I agree. I am a life time (practically) VF 5B user and like you Jarick, I'd say I have smaller hands and I don't find a problem with them. They are not rock monster tree trunks but they do have that weight that gives you a pumpin backbeat...and if you back off them they can even do a respectable job at jazz.

Play em for a while and if in the end you can't adjust then think of some of the other options.

And personally I found Vater to be nearly identical to VF in both feel and wear. Vater 5B's felt a little thicker to me....so I stay with VF but it was hardly different at all.

Seems so simple huh. I think the way drumming is taught might lead many to believe that proper technique = minimum effort. :freak:

• Members

I agree with the jojo mayers..that's all i play now. playing anything longer than those just feels..weird

Haha! I feel the same way. I think there's a video on vicfirth.com of Jojo talking about the sticks, and he says something like, "I get really stressed out if I don't have 'em with me." So true...

...anyway, back to the topic. :lol:

• Members

There are plenty of sticks out there that are between a 5A and a 5B. Pro-Mark makes the 808, which I've tried and it's nice. Silverfox has the 558, which I also own. Its okay. It doesn't have a lot of rebound.

You should check out some maple sticks; light with a lot of rebound. Right now I'm using the Pro-Mark Todd Sucherman model. Its a maple 5B.

Archived