Trying a Neil Peart set up

Thirsty93

• Members

I was bored Friday so I changed some stuff around,my idea of a rush kit.It's not to bad to play just have to get to the tom toms a little faster:thu:

Those are some sweet drums, Thirsty!

I think Peart is one of those musicians whose setup works for them but would be absurd for anyone else. Wonder how many young drummers' technique he's {censored}ed up because they want to imitate him.

• Members

Those are some sweet drums, Thirsty!

I think Peart is one of those musicians whose setup works for them but would be absurd for anyone else. Wonder how many young drummers' technique he's {censored}ed up because they want to imitate him.

Thats a curious qoute. The rap against Peart seems to revolve around the fact that he is pure, cold technique, with very little feeling to his playing, as opposed to someone like Bonham, Watts, etc. However, wouldnt students do well to study someone like Peart purely for the technical aspects that he would bring to their playing? Like him or hate him, hes a technical monster, and I cant imagine a study of his methods and techniques harming anyones technique, as long as the other greats were studied too.

What do you think? Am I off base or misinterpreting your point?

By the way, hows your kids band coming along? :wave:

• Members

If you look at Peart's current setup, it's actually based on a simple 4-piece kit. He started with that after working with Freddy Gruber. Take away the additional toms and cymbals and look what you have...

I've used this setup and added or subtracted pieces depending on stage space. No matter what, I will always have the same basic kit.

Archived