RIP Louie Bellson

Living Dead Drummer

• Members

Taken from Louiebellson.info

"Sad News - In Memoriam - February 15, 2009

We regret to announce the unexpected passing of Louie Bellson on Feb 14, 2009.

Tenative plans are for an L.A. area funeral, followed by funeral and burial in Moline, Illinois, his boyhood home. Details forthcoming.

The Guestbook is now closed to new entries. Rather than write there, send your

Condolences and cards to:

Mrs. Louie Bellson

c/o Remo, Inc.

28101 Industry Drive

Valencia, CA 91355

Contributions in memory of Louie Bellson can be made to:

Emmanuel Baptist Church and mailed to Mrs. Bellson at the address above."

I only met him once, but he will be missed amung the drumming world.

Luie_nick.jpg

• Members

I just got the email from Hudson Music of his passing and they posted a tribute to him here:

http://www.hudsonmusic.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=170:louie-bellson-tribute&catid=45:features&Itemid=57

Thanks masonni for posting!

I got to meet him at Zildjian day in Dallas many years ago. Without exaggeration, he was one of the nicest, kindest, Gentleman I have ever met.

Everyone here needs to remember that he invented double bass drumming! He's the reason so many of us do what we do.

I am sorry I didn't get to meet him again and didn't get to see him perform again. I write this holding back a tear in sadness that he's not on this earth any more.

Rest in Peace Louie. I'll always remember you.

Ray

• Members

....It just got a tad louder. The unvarnished Cynic in me says, you're dead, you're gone, that's it....but I like to think that somewhere, Gene, Buddy, Chick, and now Louis are trading 4's and Laughing and playing like maniacs. My Idea of Heaven would be a damn sight noisier. Like someone said when Louis Armstrong passed, ' Gabriel just lost the First Chair'. For those of us still earthbound, mourn the passing of an innovator , a first class gentleman, and a well respected member of this group of people called ' The Musical Community'. His music, and art form will always be with us, thanks to recordings. Mourn his loss, but celebrate his life. There's plenty of that to do so.

:thu::thu:PEACE:thu::thu:

• Members

Sad news.

I got to meet him at a "Day of Percussion" that he was headlining (Fargo kinda sucks but it does host a day o' perc yearly) He gave a great clinic. Talked about tons of great stuff , Snare drum roll contests w/ Buddy Rich to see who could roll more quietly....good stuff.

I had a mini gig leading a drum circle before the break for lunch. Bellson's clinic was after lunch. After his clinic he did a meet and greet line to sign photos and such , I waited in line for an autograph and to shake his hand , before I could say anything , he said -Hey you're one of the guys who was playing before lunch , you guys were great. I smiled and tried to remember what words are and how they were made , I don't really remember much else except that we talked for a few minutes and I tried not to be too star struck , what a nice guy , and obviously one hell of a legendary player.

Sad news.

• Members

Louie was absolutely a classy guy and a real inspiration.

I regret I never got to meet him or see him live.

He actually responded to my email though when I sent him the

link to my son playing drums on YouTube.

RIP to one of the best.

Thoughts and prayers to your family.

Archived