Clear silicone on drum heads.

ulank

• Members

In an effort to help my drums hold their tune better and longer, I've been thinking of putting a nice bead of clear 100% silicone around the head where it touches the rim. Good idea?
:confused:

No. Is this a joke?

You will not accomplish ANY of those goals with silicone - WHATSOEVER.

If your lugs move a lot from vibration, try lug locks to keep the head in tune. The bottom line is, you have to maintain your drums to keep them working properly. You may have to re-tune every once in a while depending on how hard you hit and the quality of your drums.

Besides, the tension on the rim is coming from the lugs. Silicone is not going to hold the tension. The lugs hold the tension. If all the lugs were loose and there was silicone on the rim, it's not going to hold anything.

Do you really want to clean a mess everytime you change a drumhead? Just turn the drumkey every once in a while, it's not a big deal.

• Members
:eek: I'd do nothing that could affect the bearing edge, except a small felt strip on an unported reso. What kind of drums do you have, and are they fairly loose? I've never experienced a set going out of tune to an unworkable state. Drum dials are pretty great for a quick check to see if the lugs have slipped. And remember drums will always sound different in new rooms, always tune to the room if needed. The way I see it, as long as you have a set's sound working in a small space it will sound huge and full anywhere else you take it.

• Members

:eek:
I'd do nothing that could affect the bearing edge, except a small felt strip on an unported reso. What kind of drums do you have, and are they fairly loose? I've never experienced a set going out of tune to an unworkable state. Drum dials are pretty great for a quick check to see if the lugs have slipped. And remember drums will always sound different in new rooms, always tune to the room if needed. The way I see it, as long as you have a set's sound working in a small space it will sound huge and full anywhere else you take it.

Pearl Masters Custom MCX. They're ok, but I can't help but think the silicone idea will only make them better. And if I'm wrong, I'm only out....7 pairs of heads. :idk: Some goo gone on the rims and I'm back to normal. But now that I think about it, I could get colored silicone to match the kit's finish! :idea::love:

Hmmm....

• Members

what heads are you using? You might want to try some premuffled ones. I think the silicone will produce only a dry box like thud. Most of the sound a drum gets is from it's even shaped and cut bearing edge. If you do try it post results, but if anything you may want to rethink your design. I think putting it in a thin ring inside an inch from the collar, exactly where the superkicks foam is suspended may offer better results.

• Members

that would be bypassing the most important part of the drum for making noise, it would sound awful you completley change the bearing edge which is designed to transfer the energy to the shell and the reso

if your having tuning problems then i guess you must have lug problems, but a pearl masters should hold its tuning well

Archived