New Snare

Shawn76

• Members

I went to Guitar Center today to order another cymbal and was waking around and seen a Ludwig 7x14 20 ply Birch Snare. I played around with it,tuned it up and really liked how it sounded,and liked the price even more.There was no price on it so I expected $350 but it was only $210.I snatched it up along with new heads for it. I would rather of had the Black finish but this is all they had,but I am still happy as can be.I haven't owned anything deeper then a 6" snare.

Needless to say I didn't order the cymbal lol

smallepic.jpg

• Members

The snare was an epic fail..:( I have to return it tomorrow,both top and bottom hoops are kinda screwed. While playing this evening I noticed a wrinkle in the head.I retune within 5 minutes same thing.I retune thinking it's just the head needing to be stretched but it continued to do it so I pulled the head off and put the batter hoop on a flat surface,it wobbled. So I put the snare on the table with the head still off and it didn't wobble.So I took off the bottom hoop and got the same exact result. I can't even begin to say how disappointed I am.The snare sounded so good. So I am now looking to add $100 with it and get a Tama Artwood 6.5"x14" snare. Really liked the Ludwig Epic snare,but after less then a week and this happens,I don't trust another.

• Members

So the hoops were bad, but the shell was ok?

If you really dig the sound, why not just exchange it or upgrade the hoops?

Kind of lost faith in the snare and scared it will happen again. I found a nice replacement and I did more homework with it then I did with the Ludwig snare. The Tama I am looking at is a darker stain with black hardware,it's 6.5x14 but will work better in the end.The only thing I don't like about the Tama is it is not Birch and is Maple.I am a huge fan of Birch wood. I'll get some pics in a few days when I get the snare. Plus GC only carries 1 of everything in stock so it would be another week or 2 before I could exchange it. I want it this week,after playing the Epic then going back to the acrolite is like night and day.A huge difference in sound.

• Members

my friend's had this problem with his tama snare. the hoops on some of the cheaper snares seem to be very prone to warping.

However, that being said, I had a ludwig bronze snare that wasn't all too expensive and it never had issues like that.

• Members

Was it like this before you swapped the heads?

I didn't pay attention for once and don't know if it was or not.The person I deal with at GC said there was no way caused it since I had it barely a week so I am guessing it was broke before I bought it and I didn't look for signs of damage,didn't expect any being new. I did get a new snare,I went with a 6.5x14 Pearl Masters 6 ply Maple Snare. Sounds pretty sweet and I have only changed the batter head,putting a Hazy 300 on it tonight.

Here is what mine looks like. http://www.buyfromchucks.com/products/Pearl-Masters-Custom-MCX-Snare-Drum-14-x-65-130622.html?cPath=40_124_3933

• Members

giving me snare drum gas. I want a ludwig champion (non-split) or some similar as a companion to my acrolite.

After I heard the Ludwig Epic snare,then having to go back to the Acrolite,I am starting to hate the sound of my acrolite. The Epic was a really good sounding snare,just wish they would of made better hoops for it.

I have used the new Pearl snare for an hour or so and I like it but the Epic still sounded better to my ears.I will eventually get rid of the acrolite but not ready to sell it just yet.Will wait until I can find a trade for something else I don't need.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Shawn, sorry to say it but I think that's just silly. The hoops aren't going to warp if you upgrade to some better ones. The cheap Asian import hoops are weak - put some 2.3mm or some die cast hoops on and you'll be good to go. The die cast hoops might even focus the sound in a way you'll like. It's not the shell's fault - in fact it says that the shell, the lugs, and the rods were all doing their job well because none of them failed! The hoops bent, big deal. If you want tension that high, you should have better hoops on it.

• Members

Shawn, sorry to say it but I think that's just silly. The hoops aren't going to warp if you upgrade to some better ones. The cheap Asian import hoops are weak - put some 2.3mm or some die cast hoops on and you'll be good to go. The die cast hoops might even focus the sound in a way you'll like. It's not the shell's fault - in fact it says that the shell, the lugs, and the rods were all doing their job well because none of them failed! The hoops bent, big deal. If you want tension that high, you should have better hoops on it.

I've been considering on picking another up in a darker finish and getting wood hoops or die cast hoops. I like the Pearl snare I am using now,but I still think the Ludwig Epic sounded better to my ears.

I know the hoops were the problem and an easy fix but I don't like going cheap if I am going to fix something.I want it right the first time.

Archived