What kind of snare is this?

Shawn76

• Members

This is all I know about the snare. It's a Ludwig 6x14 10 lug snare.I am thinking it's a Supra but not 100%. If it is a Supra I am going to pick it up for $75

And one more question,What is a 1967 5.5"X14" Supra with very minor pitting worth?I have a chance to do some trading on one but can't find much info on pricing one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]342462[/ATTACH]

• Members

As far as I know, supra's never had a black/white badge and bowtie lugs. And the only sizes they come in are 5 and 6.5. Looks like a mix of an acro/supra, perhaps it came with Rocker sets. ?? I have a 60's 5" supra, paid $185 but I usually see 60's listed around $250. People tend to spend more on the keystone badges.

• Members

Looks like a FrankenLudwig. Supra shell, Acrolyte lugs, and a Rocker badge (grommet looks non-original). What kind of throw-off does it have?

Most importantly .... how does it sound? $75 for (basically) a Supra is a great price. Go for it.

• Members

Newer Blackorite?? A entry level snare that is based on the old Acrolite snares. The PICTURE looks like a self made hybird somebody made or newer entry level Ludwig snare. Is too new looking.

A 1967 Ludwig SUPRA (short for supraphonic) that has minor pitting and is in great shape otherwise is going for around $150-200 last time I heard. Getting one for $100-150 would be good. It may be less given the state of the economy and how well you can deal. Late 60s/1970's Acrolites ( or Acro, gray unpolished sides with 8 lugs) are going for $75-100 in good shape. please double check the info though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

DW_Man_TX wins the prize. Some guys like those as a cheap snare for backup or the gigs you need your cheap gear on. Steel shell, nothing special.

Supras only came with bowtie lugs for a short period right before the move from Chicago to Monroe - the badge during that period was the large keystone gold that you see on today's Supras but it said Chicago on it.

Archived