70's Slingerlands w/ metal wrap?

boonestunes

• Members

I'm a guitarist, but dabble a little in drums. Have a chance for a trade towards a set of drums for my home studio/jamroom...... Looking for a little info

set I'm looking at is a 70's ('74-'76) slingerland. Pics I've got are in low light, not great pics... drums look black. Owner says they are a metal wrapped finish, not the typical plastic wrap. sizes are 13,14,18, & 24. I'm assuming that there was once a 16, but it's long gone. I've seen the chrome metal-wrapped, but not black. Not sure if its a black painted metal or if its a black chrome.....

I know that a lot depends on condition, but what might these be worth? Are they typically decent sounding or 70's trash? Trading a pretty nice guitar for them, and don't want to get taken.....

thanks

• Members

the guy that drums with me most has a set of the stainless ludwigs.... interesting drums. He's been jonesing for a set of coppers, so I know what those are. These are just black looking but have a metal wrap. Pretty sure they are the blackrome or whatever.

I'm just looking for a jam room kit that will sound decent miked. Something cool that might eventually be worth more than I have in them. Just want to make sure they won't decrease in value in a few years.

• Members

If they're just for the jam room then looks are minimal worry. A kit that old is one of two things, kick butt or too much work to mess with. Things to look for:

are the hoops, tension rods and lugs in good shape?

Are the bearing edges - the edges of the drum the head sits against - in good shape? Are there dings in the edges or are the edges split?

Are the drums round, not mis-shaped?

Is all the hardware there: legs for floor toms, holders for rack toms, all the screws that hold those things aren't stripped?

If they are supposed to be double headed drums are both hoops and heads still on the drums? - if not this could make the drum go out of round

You may know this stuff already, but just thought I'd help if you needed it.

What's the value of the drums and the guitar your thinking about trading?

• Members

not at all. I do know most of that stuff... I also know that SOME (don't know which ones) of these 70's slings are 3 ply- supposed to sound great but have issues with structural integrity.... I figure the value of the guitar I'm looking to trade is $550. The kit is described as 'decent' shape, no snare, just the 2 rack toms, floor tom, & kick. I think the tom mount is missing (has them mounted on stands)... I've seen one other blackrome kit- full kit with snare and hardware in excellent condition for $1600...... So is my guitar a fair trade value, low, or high? (guessing fair or low, kinda depends on the quality of the kit when I see it)

one more thing.... are folks gonna be freaked out that I want to take off the heads to check the bearing edges and inner construction? Doesn't currently have clear heads on it so they'll have to come off to check this stuff.....

• Members

3 ply shells don't have any particular issues with structural integrity. "3 ply" doesn't even mean they are thinner than another company's 5 or 6 ply shell. Just means less glue.

And yes, you should take off heads and look inside. If he is freaked out, just pass on the deal. There are plenty of good drums out there.

• Members

Think I've decided to pass on these... They are not blackrome but painted black over metal wrap (supposedly original) and the "super rock" series? Not in the best of shape... just a little too much for a hobby drummer/guitarist to get into right now. His cash price is $650 and that's just too high for me, for just the toms, no snare or hardware......especially given the condition.

CraigsList in Lexington/Louisville, search for slingerland if you're interested, wanna try to deal on them.......

Archived