This says it all!

the DW

• Members

I saw this quote in the newspaper and thought "YEAH DAVE, RIGHT ON". I especially like the part about it's not being perfect and not what's in your computer. Nothing turns me off more than computerized music with 80s sounding snare drum sounds and fake hand claps.

And if you haven't checked out Dave on drums with Them Crooked Vultures I'd highly recommend it!

• Members

And yet, they had no problem grabbing a razor blade and splicing together takes.

I agree with him, I mean learn to play your instrument and just lay that {censored} down. But the notion that his record was somehow better because he used a tape machine instead of pro tools is silly.

• Members

And yet, they had no problem grabbing a razor blade and splicing together takes.

I agree with him, I mean learn to play your instrument and just lay that {censored} down. But the notion that his record was somehow better because he used a tape machine instead of pro tools is silly.

I don't think his comment was about editing, nor do I think they are about tape vs. DAW recording; more about where the music starts from...i.e., his hands and head/heart, vs. a few nominees where there is nothing 'organic' to start with and it's all generated 'inside' a computer.

• Members

The other part you missed before the quote is that their new album was totally cut in Dave's garage studio (which I can only imagine is a pretty nice place), but to his point, he meant that you need not spend gobs of money to produce good music.

I even believe some of the album was done with an overhead mic and everyone sitting around playing a great take.

I thought he was spot on- and that we need to bring the fun back to music and the money will follow.

D

Archived