Stand alone kick drum trigger modules/synthesizers, what are my options

insurrection

• Members

Your options are you can trigger any sound from any source if you have the right technology.

You need, at minimum, a physical kick trigger, a sound that is being triggered and some sort of interface that translates your striking the trigger into signal that 'fires' the sound.

if you truly only want a SINGLE instance of this (i.e., not a full-blown trigger interface for multiple pads/triggers, and not access to a library of full-kit sounds, etc.)...I think it''s unlikely you'll find that.

I'd suggest finding older-technology/used eDrum brains and going from there with a single kick pad/trigger.

• Members

I've never seen one, but it would be cool if some "stomp box" manufacturer were to come out with the "Kick Box" and "Snare Box", with one trigger input, and a line out. You can pick from perhaps 12 different samples for each box, and perhaps limited sample editing capabilities - maybe just pitch, sustain, ambience - and that's it. There would need to be a small screwdriver adjust sensitivity control to accomodate different triggers, and of course, the "stomp" button that would turn it on or off.

Roland? Alesis? Yamaha? You listening?

:D

• Members

I've never seen one, but it would be cool if some "stomp box" manufacturer were to come out with the "Kick Box" and "Snare Box", with one trigger input, and a line out. You can pick from perhaps 12 different samples for each box, and perhaps limited sample editing capabilities - maybe just pitch, sustain, ambience - and that's it. There would need to be a small screwdriver adjust sensitivity control to accomodate different triggers, and of course, the "stomp" button that would turn it on or off.

Roland? Alesis? Yamaha? You listening?

:D

paging Dr. Pad...Dr. Pad to the OR, you have a patient waiting Dr. Pad...

wtsk8k.jpg

• Members

So what if I wanted to trigger only kick and don't need a full drum module, what are my options?

Have a brand new Laptop? If so, you should be able to use a single or two channel digital recording interface. Plug the kick trigger into it, and use some kind of "track replacement" software. The PC should be fast enough to act as a trigger interface and sound source - skipping the whole device.

• Members

paging Dr. Pad...Dr. Pad to the OR, you have a patient waiting Dr. Pad...

wtsk8k.jpg

Unfortunately, they don't make this anymore. :cry:

But if they could simplify it, building it on a stomp box chassis, with just the trigger in and audio out, that would make it more useful, I think. Instead of a variety of different things, just have 12 different kick drum samples. The "snare" version would have 12 different snare samples.

I could use something like the snare version when doing casual cover band gigs. There's always that song or two where a nice deep punchy snare sound would do well, but I wouldn't want to have to set up a shitload of stuff just for a few songs. If it was as easy as plugging in a stomp box, I'd be on that in a heartbeat!

• Members

I've always wanted to have a single pad mounted somewhere on my kit, that interfaced to a rack mount sampler, [as in 19" audio rack, not a drum rack], with a bunch of sound effects like shattering glass, or an explosion, or wind, or whatever, but I've never gotten around to doing it. And, technology has changed so much since I first looked into doing this back in the '80's, that I wouldn't even know where to begin. :facepalm::lol:

• Members

I bought an Alesis Percpad for 100.00 brand new and a Simmons trigger for twenty bucks and off I went. There's a couple of very useable bass drum samples in the Alesis and when pumped through a nice sub I have a very consistent and great sounding bass drum. That's about the easiest, cheapest and best sounding way I can think of to do what you're trying to do. A nice sounding sub is a necessity however. Bass drum samples sound wimpy if pumped through a system that doesn't handle low end well.

• Members

I don't think I would count on that.

I've had both Roland and ddrum triggers, and I preferred the ddrum models. Now, thy might be better than the "One Shot" economy model that ddrum makes. I have a ddrum2 and a Yamaha A3000 Rackmount sampler. I used to trigger the kit, but in reality it was a waste of time - most of the places I was playing, all I needed was a kick mic, and I used 1 condenser overhead.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Thought I would resurrect this post instead of starting my own.

I'm looking for a small, kick sound source with trigger input. I know things change quickly and it's 2 years later. What are my options these days?

Google comes out with too many results to find what I'm looking for. I know I saw something on craigslist recently, but the post went away all too fast.

• Members

I think you may want to take a look at the Roland TM-2. It has two inputs, has a very small footprint, and you can load your own WAV samples on to it with a SD card. All for only $200us. I got one used a month ago and I like it so far. The only thing that was tricky for me was the settings for the triggers, as I've been using Alesis for the last 15 years, and this my first Roland brain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived