E-Drum ConunDRUM

NBarnes21

• Members

Hey all,

So I've been looking around at electronic kits for a while now and have some questions. Basically I want to get as realistic of a sound as possible using an e-drum kit through ProTools, getting sounds from Native Instruments Studio Drummer and Abbey Road drums. I think the TD-20 stuff would be ideal but it's soooo pricey. I don't need a fancy module with the kit as I will be getting the sounds through ProTools via MIDI. I just need really responsive and accurate pads, especially regarding Kick, Snare, and Hat. I haven't really branched my search out beyond V-Drums, are there other options that would work in a sub $2,000 budget?

Most of the nice used V Drum kits I see on Craigslist are between $2500 and $3500 which is a bit out of my range. I've been keeping an eye on the cheaper TD-9 kits which seem cool but I wonder if the kick and snare will be sufficient. Mesh kick pad is a MUST, not the crappy little rubber guy that comes with the lower TD-9 drums.

Any e-drum gurus have some insight to offer?

• Members

I have a TD 9 all mesh BUT with the "crappy little rubber guy" bass drum.  (I don't think it ever came with a mesh bass drum)...and it works great for me.  I don't find mesh neccessary for the bass drum and have never wanted to upgrade.   

I use it to trigger BFD2 (really what you should get if you want the MOST realistic sounding and most powerful software...especially the Platinum Samples expansion packs). 

The sensitivity settings etc are pretty much exactly the same between the 9 and the 20. 

Yamaha edrums work just as well as roland. 

• Members

cool, thanks for the input!  Glad to hear that the TD-9 works pretty well for you, that will make my search easier.  Do you find the rubber kick pad to be responsive and dynamic?  Anyone have experience with other E kits like Yamahas and Alesis?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

NBarnes21 wrote:

Hey all,

So I've been looking around at electronic kits for a while now and have some questions. Basically I want to get as realistic of a sound as possible using an e-drum kit through ProTools, getting sounds from
Native Instruments Studio Drummer and Abbey Road drums
. I think the TD-20 stuff would be ideal but it's soooo pricey. I don't need a fancy module with the kit as I will be getting the sounds through ProTools via MIDI. I just need really responsive and accurate pads, especially regarding Kick, Snare, and Hat. I haven't really branched my search out beyond V-Drums, are there other options that would work in a sub $2,000 budget?

Most of the nice used V Drum kits I see on Craigslist are between $2500 and $3500 which is a bit out of my range. I've been keeping an eye on the cheaper TD-9 kits which seem cool but I wonder if the kick and snare will be sufficient. Mesh kick pad is a MUST, not the crappy little rubber guy that comes with the lower TD-9 drums.

Any e-drum gurus have some insight to offer?

I guess you talk live.

I use those and other sample libraries, record with different drum pad brands (depending on the compositional needs) into digital audio production software, but this method isn't really applicable for drummers in live concerts

Archived