NEED HELP FAST! IM READING REVIEWS ON POWERED PA SPEAKERS!!LOOKING TO BUY QUICK!

dropmute

• Members

Guys I have been reading reviews all day on powered pa speakers.  I dont kno whether to go passive or powered now.  I am looking to drop about 1k on a set up.  I currently have a powered 15" harbinger pa (i kno i kno-haha).  Anyway i was looking at the qsc, electro voice, jbl, or powered peavey dual 15's.  Should i pick up one powered speaker and a powered sub and pig-tail it or get an amp, sub, and 2 passive pas?  I play edm, rap, hip hop, trip hop, etc....not really anyrock or country.....i use a macbook pro with my ns6 so .... please help thx again

i'd rather buy a bad ass to medium set up-- then have to replace it down the road ....need the funds to use on other music stuff ..im sure ya'll kno what i mean...

• Members

Unless you know how to pick the "right" amp for the speakers and how to set, say, a driverack, go powered. All the processing and limiting is done for you. Asking how you should hook it up in the first place tells me that you don't really know that stuff, and that's mostly ok. Just understand where your knowledge ends.

Most people will tell you that while using subs (you obviously want subs) that there wont be much difference between going 12" and 15" on the tops. I'd suggest you go for two 12" tops like QSC KW122/JBL PRX 712s with their matching subs QSC KW 181 and PRX 718 (XLF still??). 12s are smaller and cheaper. With two tops and two subs (what I would suggest for hip hop or other dance music) those brands will put you out about 4k+. But it's worth it. Those harbinger speakers you have are pretty much crap. 

Get matching subs and tops. They were designed to go together. And know the limits of your system. Don't push it into limiting. If you need more sound, you need more speakers. 

Archived