starting help

genzm

• Members

Hi,

I really like the idea of being a DJ. I would really like to try it out.

That is why I download some DJ software.

I wanted to start with that first to see if I like it.

If so I would really consider buying some hardware to work with. (of course I know it's not that easy to work with from the screen with the mouse)

I now use mostley Mixxx, because I work with ubuntu. But I don't seem to find any tutorials about it. I tried experimenting with it, but that doesn't goo that easy.

Now I was wondering if there is other software for which there are more tutorials?

• Members

This is friendly advice, so take it as such.

Get a job. Take your paycheck and buy windows.

If you want to play fifteen and sixteen year old birthdays and house parties, get virtual dj. If you want to play out, get Serato. Serato is expensive. BUY high quality music. Don't play low bit rate rips. Learn your music. The fifteen and sixteen year olds will tell you what they want to hear. Buy that and charge enough to cover having to buy music. After a few parties you won't have to buy so much because you will already have it.

• Members

Get a good computer (if you don't already have one) and test demo versions of Serato, Traktor, and Torq. Choose the one you like the best and expand. Every venture is worth the expense so it's going to cost you money. The better equipped you are, the more serious some others will take you and the better prepared you'll be for expanding and taking on better gigs.

Accumulating the money to buy the gear will take time but it will be totally worth it in the end and others of the craft will respect you more for the sacrifice involved.

• Members

Incidentally...rumor has it that Avid is forging partnerships to have Torq work with controllers from other companies so won't be tied to their controller. I see this as a counter to the surging popularity of the Traktor/S4 combination.

• Members

Incidentally...rumor has it that Avid is forging partnerships to have Torq work with controllers from other companies so won't be tied to their controller. I see this as a counter to the surging popularity of the Traktor/S4 combination.

Excellent - I think a third major player (Torq as you mention) in the pro DJ software arena would be good as a whole. I'm a Traktor guy that loves the fact that you can use any interface with the program, although the S4 is a nice unit, not too many people I know use it right now.

• 1 month later...

Archived