How to get started DJ'ing?

mcmpc

• Members

I'm an accomplished drummer (oxymoron? - har) that is interested in finding out more about how to DJ. I'm making this post quite humbly because I have no friggin idea what it's gonna take. Any recommendation re: instructional books, DVD's, etc. would be appreciated.

I'm a closet fan of old skule pop/funk from Madonna to EW+F, got a little into Acid Jazz a few yrs ago, know my way around drum n' bass + afro-cuban + samba. Also a fan of modern hip hop + pop (I've got a teenage daughter + hear that sh!t all the time).

That's kind of the kink in the equation, I'm 45 yrs old so none of my instrumental peers have any knowledge (or interest! -their loss). An example of the kind of stuff I am drawn to would be the fatboy slim remix of September/Jokers Gettin Wild from the movie Bebel. Again, I'm lower than a novice in this arena.

It would seem that I live in a descent area (Providence, RI- not too big or small, college town, lots of different ethnicities) to practice the art of DJ if I ever got descent at it. This is my 1st time reaching out for some help on this subject. Your input will be much appreciated. Thx for reading.

• Members

As far as starting out working clubs, you are kind of looking at it backwards. You don't mix what you want, you mix what the club wants - or you don't work. It's time to start hanging out in all the DJ rooms in your area.

I'm a keyboard player who got tired of seeing my band rooms being taken over by DJ's, so jumped ship and became a DJ myself. I'm now working every weekend to packed houses. It can be done.

Don't underestimate the personality aspect of it. You've really got to sell yourself up there. The stage experience I had in bands really helped.

Archived