9-Band EQ

SphynX

• Members

How Do You guys like to setup your 9band EQ's if you have them. And even if you dont I'd love some ideas. I have a very bassy warwick but I want to smooth it out. I seem to be getting very twangy highs and so if you could help me keep that warm bass sound, while smoothing out the highs that would be good. A good example of what I'm maybe looking for is if you have heard any of the Sarah McLachlin stuff their bass player has such warm smooth tone its incredible. I'm using a SVT-4 as well by the way if that helps at all.

SphynX

• Members

The following has been copied, pasted and modified from the AX-1 B tips & lessons I put up for my Korg site.

It may not be completely accurate for other EQs, but still reveal useful :

"80 Hz : The Balls of your sound.

Whow ! 80 Hz, this is what you can call basses ! In fact, the Bass Guitar goes lower than

that. A low E is at 42.5 Hz, and a low B around 30.5 Hz. Still, no guitarist will get you

around this frequency. Yeah, it's all yours, do what you want. Really ? No, not really.

Because nowadays, at the same frequency, you can find : a synthesizer, the Kick Drum, an

octaver or low harmonics coming from the guitarist's HyperMetalAttack pedal, or even a

loop from a DJ or a baryton sax. Settings for this range is very easy. If you need more balls in

your sound ( I'm sure even female bassists will understand me ;-)) ), add some. That will be

the case if you play outdoor, if you got a cheap bass with cheap pickups and a cheap amp,

or if you plug directly from your Korg into a tape or a mix console. Oppositely, if you got 10

year old strings, if you only cabinets are a 1x15" and a 1x18", if you got a 70s' bass given by

Derek SMALLS from Spinal Tap with 10 magnetic poles for each string, even if you practice

in a 10 m

Archived