What's the deal with the Lakland "Skyline" basses???

rig-talk.com

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The're assembled in Korea to Lakland specs. Fretjobs and final setup are done here in Chicago. My bass teacher has a Skyline 44-02 and a US 55-94. If I didn't know any better, I couldnt tell you which was MIA and which was MIK.

Read this for more detailed info.

• Members

Well they are even better than the SX basses ;)

all joking aside they are great. I had a Bob Glaub Skyline P that was stunning. I chose it over MIA Fenders as it just sounded, felt and played better. THe Lindy Fralin P pickup is great....I NEVER would have parted with that bass if it hadn't been stolen:mad:

I also thought the Darryl Jones Jazz and the Joe Osborne Jazz were sweet! Aero PUs in the DJ and Fralins in the JO

I guess from a MIA Lakland to a MIK Lakland is a similar drop as MIA G&L to a MIK G&L I thought the Skylines were nicer than the Tributes but that is just IMHO

• Members
Originally posted by Bassin' 'Round

Sorry, but 1763 posts and, "what's Skyline?"

Well, I'm seen members with 10000+ posts asking questions such as "what's the difference between 4 or 8 ohms", or "what's a DI and why would I need it ?"

• Members

Originally posted by SgtThump

Ya know, $669 for the 44-01 seems reasonable.

But $1,259 for the 44-02 seems kinda crazy to me.

That's exactly what I thought. That's why I bought the 44-01. Can't hurt to try one for $670.

• Members

I wanted a Fender Jazz but the local shop turned me on to Lakland. $2000+ was more than I wanted to spend on a MIA. My MIK Skyline Joe Osborne with Hipshot tuners, Fralin PU, beautiful (I mean perfect) craftsmanship, large Lakland bridge, play-forever neck and overall tone makes it really a great value.

As said before, they may be "crafted in Korea," but the finishing touches and quality control take place in the Windy City. I'd buy another Skyline in a heartbeat.

• Members

Originally posted by bpocall

The're assembled in Korea to Lakland specs. Fretjobs and final setup are done here in Chicago. My bass teacher has a Skyline 44-02 and a US 55-94. If I didn't know any better, I couldnt tell you which was MIA and which was MIK.

Read
for more detailed info.

Thanks for the link! I looked around the Lakland site at the different models and stuff, but I somehow missed that link. Thanks again!

Chris

• Members

Sorry, but 1763 posts and, "what's Skyline?"

Well dickhead, since you seemed to be so concerned with my life history, I'll fill you in.

I probably have at least 50,000 posts on the amp forum over the past 7 years with various forms of my "thump" moniker. I've been a lead guitar player for 20 years, gigged on bass for 2 years back in the late '90s and recently decided to switch back to bass again. I've only been on this bass forum for 2 months and I am asking questions to learn more about bass gear.

Is that ok with you? :rolleyes: What an ass...

• Members

I have a 55-01 and it's my main bass now. I like it pretty well. I upgraded to the NTMB preamp, but I'm not convinced it makes that huge of a difference. It is nice to be able to run it as either a passive or active preamp, though I'm pretty good about replacing batteries anyhow.

I find it really comfortable to play though it's very different than all my other basses (they all mainly have Jazz necks, with one or two exceptions). It's well constructed, and versatile enough to use on most of my gigs. The only gigs I don't use it on are the Beatles cover thing I do (I have a Turser Beatle bass for that) and for gigs when, for a change of pass, I use a fretless. And I don't record with it that much - for some reason, I have a harder time getting it to sit in mixes than my other basses.

All in all, though, it's a really nice bass for the money, I like the B string tension, it sounds good unplugged (speaks to quality, IMO), it's modern sounding and relatively versatile, is comfortable, and is very reasonably priced. Also, Dan Lakin stands behind his products - I've had a couple of email conversations with him, and he's very, very helpful.

Thumbs up for my 55-01.

• Members

I tried out one of the Skyline Hollowbodies a few weeks before they became readily available to the public, and I must say...very impressive instrument. Top notch fit and finish all around, no flaws :)

I don't care where it's made, if it's built and finished well, I'm sold :)

• Members

I bought my Lakland Skyline 55-01 as a beater to have around because the price was right. It turns out that it's probably the finest 5 string I've owned, and I've owned a number of expensive 5 strings with the labels on the headstock that everyone drools over.

They're well built, sound great, and intelligently designed for use in the real world. I think they're a great line of basses.

• Members

Originally posted by SgtThump

Well dickhead, since you seemed to be so concerned with my life history, I'll fill you in.

I probably have at least 50,000 posts on the amp forum over the past 7 years with various forms of my "thump" moniker. I've been a lead guitar player for 20 years, gigged on bass for 2 years back in the late '90s and recently decided to switch back to bass again. I've only been on this bass forum for 2 months and I am asking questions to learn more about bass gear.

Is that ok with you?
:rolleyes:
What an ass...

Temper, temper. Oh yeah, no problem, you explain right here, lead guitar player for 20 years.

• Members

Temper, temper. Oh yeah, no problem, you explain right here, lead guitar player for 20 years.

I really don't see how it was your place to question my post in the first place. If you post a smartass remark, you should expect to get one back. Maybe you're too dumb to figure that out, being a bass player and all. ;)

Archived