Who here plays four but strings BEAD??

ToeJamFootball

• Members

I love it. Don't miss the G string. Hell, I prefer my chicks completely naked.

Kidding.

You don't need a G string to play bass. The B string offers you more options to move and transition between the guitar chords. I love my BEAD tuned bass. It's awesome.

• Members

I figured I'd see phunkyhick get on this.

He turned me on to it.

It's pretty cool. I bought a set from webstring with a 130 B string. I don't miss the G at all and it forced me to learn the B string. Filling lower sounds better in my opinion but there is still enough room to go high. I have my BEAD on a Gibson Exlporer bass with a {censored}ty nut so it's not set up right, but it's still pretty cool to mess around with or make it your number one like (I think) phunkyhick has. I like my bass tuned one step lower than standard better than BEAD but it's still pretty cool to hear some real low end from a 4 string.

Yo.

• Members

Originally posted by phunkyhick

You don't need a G string to play bass. The B string offers you more options to move and transition between the guitar chords. I love my BEAD tuned bass. It's awesome.

I agree, at least in my alternative/punk/classic rock band. The B is far more useful than the G, so I tune BEAD. In my country band I really need the G more.

• Members

NEVER

I have however considered stringing my bass ADGC (tenor) many times, but never had the balls (or rather lack thereof :D) to do it.

*hijack in progress*

What strings should I use if I decide to make that step? :cool:

• Members

yup. on most of my basses.

I think that my LB-100 is the only bass I don't have strung this way. (gotta have at least one set up traditionally. I don't really miss having the high G. since we tune to C# I get more than adequate tension on the strings and no problems with any of my basses' necks...

• Members

My ric is always being switched from standard and D,A,D,G. My Ibanez is in B,E,D,G and my Thunderbird is in B,A,D,G. I sometimes go lower and tune to A but thats on very rare occasions. I love drop-B, i always have my g cause i do alot of power and regular chords when i play and as we all know the lower the chords are on bass the worse they sound, Plus i do some double tapping here and there... But if you to B,A,D,G, The open b-b-f#-b chord sound incredible and is certain to knock thingsoff the wall if you have a powerful amp.

• Members

I'd like to give it a try one of these days..

but not having the G string would make a good number of my parts impossible to play.. and the rest would have to move up the neck.. which isn't a good idea as I already mostly play in the 9th fret area.

• Members

Originally posted by Archon_113

I don't see the point in tuning BEAD when you can just get a 5 string
:confused:

I played 5 string exclusively for years, but then I developed back problems. All my 5 stringers, and most of my 4 stringers, are too heavy. I have three 4 stringers that are light enough for me to play a whole gig without pain. I was using a 5 string on a few songs that needed it, then switching back to 4, but I really hate switching basses in the middle of a set. Now I keep one bass tuned BEAD and one EADG. I can play the BEAD for a whole set, even if there is only one song I need it on, and have no back pain.

That is my reason, but some people have their own reasons. Some who have been playing 4 strings for 30 years just can't get comfortable on 5 string.

• Members

I don't, but I hate that skinny-ass G string, so next time I replace the strings I'll try it out. Is there a set of these, or do I have to buy a 5-string pack? :confused: Also, I assume I'll be needing to tweak the truss rod and bridge....

• Members

Originally posted by Chiisu

I don't, but I hate that skinny-ass G string, so next time I replace the strings I'll try it out. Is there a set of these, or do I have to buy a 5-string pack?
Also, I assume I'll be needing to tweak the truss rod and bridge....

Me too. I'm up for trying that. Gonna order a set of 5 string strings and then, yes I anticipate having to tweak the intonation and the trussrod.

One other thing to think about is you may have to widen the grooves in the nut.

• Members

Originally posted by THB_bassman

Me too. I'm up for trying that. Gonna order a set of 5 string strings and then, yes I anticipate having to tweak the intonation and the trussrod.

One other thing to think about is you may have to widen the grooves in the nut.

You will most likely need to widen the nut slots. If it is close you can actually use the string itself (if it is roundwound) as a file. You will also have to tweak the truss rod, but in my case it wasn't much. Surprisingly BEAD had less tension than EADG, so I had to loosen the truss rod a little.

• Members

Originally posted by splatbass

You will most likely need to widen the nut slots. If it is close you can actually use the string itself (if it is roundwound) as a file. You will also have to tweak the truss rod, but in my case it wasn't much. Surprisingly BEAD had less tension than EADG, so I had to loosen the truss rod a little.

Good info, thanks,:)

• Members

I swear I am not trying to pull any self-promotion here, or sound braggy or anything, just trying to point out an example.

http://www.myspace.com/11103153

Listen to our song "Fallen". It was originally a pretty cheezy and boring 3 chord pop song that our singer wrote, but definitely one of his better lyrical moments.

My guitar player and I knew it was a strong vocal, but the arrangement was pretty weak and average, so we wanted to spice it up a bit. We were just jamming the song, he stretched it out into this 5/4 feel that comes back around on itself, and I came up with that bassline to hold it together, that really kinda became the hook to the verse, and a big part of it is that I have the room to move down to that low D to move up that chord progression. That bassline was the glue that held that song together, everyone plays off of me in that song, otherwise they would fall apart.

It's a minor thing, but to me, that exemplifies the usefulness of a B string in a band with a standard tuned guitar. That bassline would not be what it is without that low D, and that song would fall apart if it weren't for that bassline.

I haven't missed that G string. The bass I use makes a statement about my playing, and puts me in a certain set of constraints and a mindset which I find very valuable, and adds a signature to my playing.

• Members

Originally posted by Archon_113

I don't see the point in tuning BEAD when you can just get a 5 string

Limits can be a good thing. A very good thing. Everyone always says why not just get a 5 or 6 string so that you have more options?

Think of it this way: You have a month to explore Europe. Sure, you can see a lot by going to many different places, and only staying a day or two at each. However, if you stay in one place, you can get that much deeper into the culture, find the real regional specialty cuisines, and find the real secrets of that place. You actually begin to understand the culture and lifestyle instead of just being a stupid American Tourist. Depending on the place there can be some real treasures to be found.

It's the same way with bass. Sure, not having that G string limits you. However, it also allows you to explore what you do have more deeply. You need to decide if it is worth exploring.

• Members

Y'Know- I had never thought of that and then I read this thread and ( slap forehead forcefully and say " DUH" ) sure , why not give it a try. Aren't there string vendors out there that let you buy whatever string you want in whatever quantity ??

Are there nut slot problems with trying to fit a bigger string into the slots ?

Please answer my bleatings !!

Archived