Anyone else find that a Stinray neck is more challenging to play on?

philthygeezer

• Members

I get the feeling that I'm less agile on my Stingray than on my P- bass. The Sterling definitely seems greasier though I like the way the Stingray sounds a bit better.

Do you find Stinray necks more challenging? Did you take a bit longer to get used to yours?

• Members

My hands aren't that big, so I always gravitated towards basses with thinner necks, thinking they'd be easier for me. Within the past 6 months I've realized a nice chunky neck like on a Stingray is perfect for me. I don't get it myself, but if it works, it works. :confused:

• Members

The only gripe I have about my Cutlass (graphite neck but same profile that my old Pre EB Stingray) is that it's body has no contour on it. It rubs my wrist raw while playing it. (have to use a wristband) I think it's cuz I am so used to playing my RD Artist which has no body where fenders and alikes do... Anyway, it totally fubars my wrist. Other than that, it plays pretty easily. Much easier than an RD would be if you weren't used to it.

:)

• Members
Originally posted by bpocall

My hands aren't that big, so I always gravitated towards basses with thinner necks, thinking they'd be easier for me. Within the past 6 months I've realized a nice chunky neck like on a Stingray is perfect for me. I don't get it myself, but if it works, it works.
:confused:

Chunky necks usually fit small hands better.

• Members

I used to love my Sterling and Jazz bass's skinny necks, then I bought my G&L. Its a slab, but if feels good for long sessions. I was slightly faster on the other 2, but the stablility and solidity out weigh that. I just need to practice more:)

• Members

Over the past 2 months or so, I've been getting used to the skinny neck on my Fender Geddy Lee Jazz. I just picked up a Stingray 2 days ago and I must say that I love the chunky neck profile!!! I really don't have any problems switching between the two and I have pretty small hands.

Chris

• Members
Originally posted by bpocall

Any ideas why that works?

Dunno but that's the general rule. People with chubby fingers do better with fat necks, long and thin fingers seem at better ease on thin, flat necks.

• Members

I don't think that shorter fingers are better with thicker necks I think just the opposite. I have just bought a new sterling and that was one of my questions to the guys at bass central beaver felton said that he has shorter fingers and that that is why he prefers the sterling over the stingray.

of course it is all about personal preference.

• Members

my 2 main basses are a stingray 4 and an ibanez srx700. the neck on the ibby is narrow and fairly thin (front to back) compared to the stingray, and i have to say that based on the way they feel in my hands, i prefer the ibanez neck to the stingray. but i love the tone of the stingray enough that it's worth it to me to choose it over the ibby 95% of the time...

my $.01, FWIW

• Moderators

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

Dunno but that's the general rule. People with chubby fingers do better with fat necks, long and thin fingers seem at better ease on thin, flat necks.

My long skinny fingers prefer the fat neck of an upright over any electric bass neck. It's a much more natural position for me.

The Stingray has always been a good fit for me, just hasn't ever found its way into my arsenal.

• Members

Originally posted by timmerz

So Detox, how much harder is the Stingray to play than the Mustang? A little bit further of a reach between frets, I'm sure?

Notice a lot of difference in the sound between the two?

I have to stretch more to play the Stingray, and the wider string spacing is quite noticeable. The weird part is that if I am playing in a sitting position, which I usually am when practicing alone, the stretch is considerable. In a standing position, however, it's much easier for me to play. It's like two different basses, actually (the Mustang feels the same sitting or standing). The higher I strap it up, the better. After I spend some more time with the 'ray, I think I'll really like it.

The Mustang is less of a stretch to play, obviously, but it too has its disadvantages for me. I have big hands (that is, the palm area), and wide, average-length fingers. My fretting hand gets a bit bound up when I play the 'stang, especially higher up on the neck, where there is less space between the frets. That leads to hand cramps, and it's sometimes painful.

Tone-wise, the Mustang has a P-bass kind of sound, complete with the Fender "thud". I don't think the pickup is quite as powerful as a P though. The 'ray is a bit growlier, and more treble can be dialed in than with the Mustang.

These observations are based on one week's experience with the Stingray.

• Members

I keep wanting to get a Stingray, but when I play one the neck is sort of unrefined feeling---it feels and looks like a T-40 neck, chunky and unadorned. Now my Sterling, on the other hand, is about the perfect neck for me. It is a fretless, but is completely refined in look and feel.

My next Music Man will be another Sterling (fretted) or a Bongo. The Bongos feel great to me---very playable, along the lines of a jazz, P bass, or Sterling. Even though the overall look of the Stingray is so perfect, I can't take the feel of the neck. This is unfortunate, as the sound and looks are killer.

Archived