Tired of playing?

rovito

• Members

I have been gigging fairly steady for about 20 years. Sometimes I wonder how it would feel to have normal family weekends. Dont get me wrong, I love playing but I feel like a slave to the grind sometimes. Playing makes up about 20% of my income and I couldnt walk away from it at this point if I wanted to. I have also blown off some great really great bands becuase they were'nt making any money. Does any one else ever feel this way.

• Members

Sometimes, a little bit.

I just make sure never to involve myself with people I can't respect, and that helps tremendously.

Both the bands I'm in right now are just getting the wheels moving, so I'm still not playing enough to satisfy my inner cravings for creativity and crowd worship (I had to actually decide which of those to list first, that's kind of scary!), so I'm a little hungry right now....

• Members

Be glad you're doing it. I just can't seem to get going with a new band since I left my last one earlier this year.

I've talked to several people who've responded to my "looking for band" advertisements, but they're either too far away, or they want to go on the road, or they want to play 7 days a week, or I can't get into what they play (just blew off an audition with a band that gave me Coldplay, Linkin Park, Journey, and Alice in Chains tunes to learn).

If you've got a steady thing going, count your blessings.

• Members

I use to gig a minimum of 2-3 times a week for 4 straight years. No weekends off. It got to be like work. I quit for 30 years to raise my family, and started back 5 years ago. Now, I play out 2-3 times a month, practice every Thursday night, do an occasional jam, and probably write off more loses than income. But I am happy with that arrangement and am having lots more fun. Maybe you need a vacation.

• Members

I've most definitely felt this way in the past. The first order of business is to really appreciate the fact that you don't have to do some soul-crushing minimum wage job in place of gigging to make the extra money. It's important to recognize and believe this.

If it's at all possible, try getting away from it for a while. Burning out is a truly real and tangible concern.

• Members

This is something I have said for awhile now. It beats working parttime at BK or mc Donalds. I should be thankful the work is somewhat steady and I can drink on the job. Sorry to bitch. My wife stays home with my youngest son(out of five kids) and I would not have that any other way. It allows us freedom in other ways. The music business has paid for cars and groceries for as long as I can remember. Music has truely been good to me.

Archived