The absolute best sounding bass distortion pedal?

6AM

• Members

Ok, I'm mainly a guitar player, but I'm doing a new project where I play bass. I've read some previous threads, but they don't really answer my question.

Here's what I'm working with...

bass :

US Fender Jazz with Aero Design pickups

amp :

vintage Ampeg SVT into a vintage Ampeg 8x10 cab

vintage Hiwatt DR201 into an Ampeg 2x15 cab

(ABYed)

I've tried a vintage MXR Distortion + and a Fulltone OCD. Both sound small when engaged. I'm looking for a huge sounding, wave of distortion. NOT A FUZZ.

Everyone seems to say that the Fulltone Bass Drive is the best, however I've had two Fulltone Full Drives and I never liked the tones I got out of them. Is there something better out there?

I'm looking for the best, regardless of the price.

• Members

A lot of people who use bass distortion will have one rig running clean and a second one dirty.. since you've got two stacks to work with, try that out. Otherwise, crank that SVT:eek: A lot of people do like the Fulltone Bass Drive; I never played it myself. I get just enough dirt from my Sansamp BDDI (think Motorhead). What kind of sound are you really going for, any references?

• Members

There is no best sounding distortion as ou should allready know. Just as some guitar players prefer Marshall and some prefer Messa etc. Also, some pups dont work as well with a given distortion as others. Same as some guitarists prefer humbuckers and some single coils. Some bass pups to me are just lousy for overdrive or distortion to me, such as stock Ibanez P & J pups.

Myself prefers the OD's on the older Zoom Player units and the newer gfx series. For seperate pedals, the Marshall OD pedals along with Proco Rat and MXR Bad Monkey work pretty well. Another thing that can drastically improve wall of Overdrive or distortion with bass is a 6-10 band eq after the OD or Distortion.

I'd reccomend other then Ampeg amps myself cause I find their sound weak esp with lower notes. Something that just plain eliminates the ability to get great wall of sound OD or dist to my ears.

So, getting great distortion with bassist that diffthen with guitar. Requires suitable bassand sutable bass pups and suitable OD/Dist and suitable amp.

Easiest setup I've foud for great heavy OD & Distis basswith soapbar pups instead of P or J pups. Plus seperate multieffect unit whose OD or Dist you really like set up for direct recording and played thru clean amp. In this way your great OD/Distisnt amp depedant, & good clean amp wont degrade the created tone like for example I find ampeg does. But its personal likes just like with guitar and OD/Dist.

• Members

Originally posted by HelterSkelter

Ive herd good sounds from that sanamp pedal...also that sansamp RBI rackmount is good too........natural tube distortion works best for me

I've tried a Sansamp and it sounded like crap with my SVT.

I'm looking for a high gain sound which neither an old SVT or Hiwatt will do.

Archived