PVC EUB Instructions

thebeatcatcher

• Members

okay i think they're finished. attached is a text only document (sorry), i'm trying to have one converted to pdf online but i don't know if it is going to work, i'll know in about 20 min. if it comes out i'll attach it also. it has some pics, but they're the same as the other ones anyway.

good luck! if you need any help let me know!

:thu:

• Members

How do you bore out the stop ring in the coupler?

I've been thinking about trying to make some kind of 1 or 2 string upright out of a scrap of wood stair railing (flat on one side & roundish on the other). But this thing is beautiful.

• Members

Originally posted by groutt

How do you bore out the stop ring in the coupler?

I've been thinking about trying to make some kind of 1 or 2 string upright out of a scrap of wood stair railing (flat on one side & roundish on the other). But this thing is beautiful.

You can dremel it out...

• Members

Originally posted by knuckle_head

You can dremel it out...

+1

you may also need to bore out a little more than the stop ring, as those fittings are made to be really snug on the pipes. when you use the glue it helps slide it on, but don't rely on that as there is not much working time with the PVC glue and you can't undo it as the stuff chemically fuses the plastic together into one piece (which is why you should be careful with it and definitely use gloves and a mask b/c it is harmful and will burn you).

• Members

Originally posted by Super_Donut_Man

Where in the hell can I find 4" PVC, Home Depot and Lowes both don't carry it, all they have is 4" ABS. I am curious about whether ABS is an adequate substitute? (I know that its great for potato(e) launchers)

Check with your local water well equipment supplier. That's all they use for wells around here, sch. 80 PVC. If you can get Sch. 120 for the fretboard, it's a little thicker and alot more dense, you might like it better.

C7

• Members

Thanks for the tips on the 4" pipe.

I've got some kind of gray 4" pipe that I scrounged (many) years ago that I might try. It could be fossilized and crumbly by this time though.

How about the tuners? Stew-Mac has Gotoh Compact Bass Tuner Sets for $44-$50US. I'd like to find something cheaper for my first attempt.

If I made the "headstock" longer by using 2 couplers, could I use any old non-compact tuners I found? Or would that goof up the angle of the strings over the nut?

• Members

Originally posted by Super_Donut_Man

Where in the hell can I find 4" PVC, Home Depot and Lowes both don't carry it, all they have is 4" ABS. I am curious about whether ABS is an adequate substitute? (I know that its great for potato(e) launchers)

hmm, that's odd, i've found it at home depot, lowe's and menards here in indy.

since the 4" is just for the fingerboard (it is not load/tension bearing) i think it would work fine.

i was originally going to use the cardboard sonotube concrete forms (about 2-3 ply with epoxy), but the PVC had the closest

radius.

• Members

Originally posted by groutt

How about the tuners? Stew-Mac has Gotoh Compact Bass Tuner Sets for $44-$50US. I'd like to find something cheaper for my first attempt.

If I made the "headstock" longer by using 2 couplers, could I use any old non-compact tuners I found? Or would that goof up the angle of the strings over the nut?

i couldn't find anything cheaper, those are the ones i ordered. try ebay maybe.

as for the headstock, there should be adequate length to fit the bigger tuners, it's the width that might not work out because the big ones have 4 screws that are made to fit a flat headstock, not a curve, and the compact tuners only have the one screw.

if you already have some old ones you could try to make it work somehow, maybe only use two of the screw holes or something, but the headstock should be plenty long enough, using two couplers would make it really big. i think the angle would still be fine. make a test headstock, it's pretty cheap to make. just don't glue it to the main pipe, try to make it work first.

Archived