fun stuff, replacing all of the wiring in my carvin

greenshag

• Members

Lately I have been noticing some hum in my old ass 83 Carvin LB50:

84_lb50-large.jpg

Mine is Koa just like the one in the pic, anyways, I am searching in the cavity for any loose wires, etc, and notice that when I "roll" the wires a bit, they are breaking, hence the hum I am getting. So, tonight I am replacing all of the wiring just to be safe, instead of just the ones that are bad. Here is the wiring diagram (thank you carvinmuseum.com!):

pickupwiringschematic.jpg

My question is, what type of wiring should I get to replace the old wiring?

• Members

Stewart MacDonald has Wire for that.

I'd never seen those pickups on a Carvin Bass, when the were out.

But, when my first 74' Rick 4001(JetGlo) came into the store I worked at, it only had "One Pickup" in the Bridge and it was that Carvin Thousand Pole Pickup. That Bass got Seymore-Duncan's.

Originally posted by greenshag

Lately I have been noticing some hum in my old ass 83 Carvin LB50:

84_lb50-large.jpg

Mine is Koa just like the one in the pic, anyways, I am searching in the cavity for any loose wires, etc, and notice that when I "roll" the wires a bit, they are breaking, hence the hum I am getting. So, tonight I am replacing all of the wiring just to be safe, instead of just the ones that are bad. Here is the wiring diagram (thank you carvinmuseum.com!):

pickupwiringschematic.jpg

My question is, what type of wiring should I get to replace the old wiring?

• Members

Originally posted by Crescent Seven

I think any 20ga wire will work. Get 2 or 3 colors, though...

C7

for this bastard, I will go with red, blue, white, yellow, green, and black, to mirror what is already in there...since I will basically due a...remove a wire, replace a wire type of deal. mainly because my bass has 2 humbuckers, a 3 way toggle switch, two coil taps, 1 phase shifter, 2 volume, 2 tones, and 2 outputs...which means a {censored}load of wiring!

• Members

for this bastard, I will go with red, blue, white, yellow, green, and black, to mirror what is already in there...since I will basically due a...remove a wire, replace a wire type of deal. mainly because my bass has 2 humbuckers, a 3 way toggle switch, two coil taps, 1 phase shifter, 2 volume, 2 tones, and 2 outputs...which means a fuckload of wiring!

vomit.jpg

• Members

looks like an 84 fretless, nice looking koa carvin!

I "think" it's actually an 86 but not sure. My brother bought it originally. The headstock and pup date it one year but the bridge dates it the next. I think it's a weird transitional model. has a KILLER sound if placed in the hands of bass players not named Lug.

• Members

Originally posted by lug

I "think" it's actually an 86 but not sure. My brother bought it originally. The headstock and pup date it one year but the bridge dates it the next. I think it's a weird transitional model. has a KILLER sound if placed in the hands of bass players not named Lug.

I thought you had the original "killer sound"?:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by lug

looks like a schaller bridge to me, which is actually what mine has on it, but the horn sharpness on the body is what date mine to 83 or so, it seems the later ones like yours had the sharp horns...and yes, killer mojo tone coming out of that bad boy. I bought mine from a pawnshop in 90 for $150 as my first bass...

Archived