Crossover "light bulb" ampeg 4x10 HLF

shmaack

• Members

I lost sound out of the horn in my ampeg 4x10 HLF. When I checked for the problem, I discovered an interesting bulb that has blown on the crossover. It looks like a standard tail light bulb for a car but it is not. I couldn't find one of these in many auto stores and the Home Depot.

It has unique numbers on it (1683 28V32CP) that did not match any bulb at those stores.

Anybody know where and how I can get a replacement?

• Moderators

There's a discussion here that might be helpful: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438373

One guy says he used an 1156 bulb.

The thing is, light bulbs don't have very many characteristics. They're basically resistors, especially in this kind of circuit. But variable resistors, which increase their resistance as current increases. You might try buying a few bulbs which fit physically, but with different power ratings. Different power ratings would have different current ratings and, most important, different cold resistances. Juat pick one that sounds best to you and go with it.

• Members

Wow, that's some helpful info.

The craziest thing was that evey bulb I looked at would have only one of the features on the stock bulb. So I didn't want to chance anything different. I'm glad you suggested to try different bulbs.

Thanks much you guy's!!!

• Members

Manufacturers at one time used 12-volt auto bulbs...1156 and 1157 being pretty standard. But, nowadays, you read up on cabinets with 48-volt protection, so they are using other type bulbs now.

Of course, the reason that they use that system is that it works. Simple but efficient.

• Moderators

Why, exactly, is there a light bulb in my bass cabinet? I've got the 410HLF and love it but..? I've never seen said light bulb but it's the same cab so I guess it'd be there.

It is a protection circuit for your tweeter. If there is too strong a signal sent to the tweeter, the bulb blows instead of the tweeter. It is a much easier/cheaper repair. The properties with which the bulb introduces itself into the circuit are also beneficial relative to other forms of protection.

• Members

It is a protection circuit for your tweeter. If there is too strong a signal sent to the tweeter, the bulb blows instead of the tweeter. It is a much easier/cheaper repair. The properties with which the bulb introduces itself into the circuit are also beneficial relative to other forms of protection.

Cool. I guess since I never use the tweeter, I shouldn't have to worry about replacing the bulb :D

• Members

Cool. I guess since I never use the tweeter, I shouldn't have to worry about replacing the bulb
:D

True, but the same system has been used in p.a. cabinets for decades. Tweeters for bass cabs were hardly seen until the 80's or 90's.

• Members

Try one of these.

compact_flourescent.jpg

It won't work but it'll save the planet.

Ha ha . Apart from when you have to dispose of it . Uses less energy but contains mercury =not good in land fills . :cop:

Ps I am not a hippy. I Just find it funny that ecco bulbs are not really eco friendly

• Moderators

Not exactly. If it were simply functioning as a fuse, then a fuse would be a cheaper and simpler solution.

As I stated above, a light bulb is a variable resistor. As power increases, more current goes through the bulb (obviously), which causes the filament to heat up. As the filament heats up, its resistance increases, which reduces the current going to the tweeter. More precisely, the amount of current to the tweeter doesn't increase as much. This protects the tweeter without turning it off completely. Essentially, it's an extremely simple automatic volume control for the tweet.

• Moderators

If by "not exactly" you mean "yes exactly." You just chose to explain how the bulb introduces itself into the circuit.
:idea:

I wouldn't analogize to a volume control.
:confused:
It is much more like a compressor. A "tube" compressor.
;)

No, by "not exactly", I mean "not exactly". The bulb's function is not that of a fuse. It does not "blow" to protect the tweeter in normal use, as you stated. Instead, it changes its resistance. Yes, you could look at it as a compressor if you prefer, but what is a compressor, if not an automatic volume control?

• Moderators

No, by "not exactly", I mean "not exactly". The bulb's function is not that of a fuse. It does not "blow" to protect the tweeter in normal use, as you stated.

You might want to reread my post and rethink what you think I said. :freak:

Archived