OT: Scanner Recommendation

Thunderbroom

• Members

My office scanner (Microtek ScanMaker 5900) just died. I got it second-hand a couple of years ago from someone that was upgrading their scanner.

I use the scanner primarily to digitize documents for storage and for capturing images for class presentations. I'd like to spend as little as possible (the college will be purchasing it) and want as small a footprint as I can get yet still have a flatbed scanner. I never really scan anything greater than 600 dpi.

• Members

I have a CANOSCAN 5600F purchased at Best BUy for about $150.

I chose it partially because it will scan film negatives and 35mm Slides. I have been going back through the film strips and scanning my old pics into digital format.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8987411&st=canoscan&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218006354764

If you do a lot of 8.5x11, i recommend one with a Automatic Document Feeder.

Come to think of it, I actually have 3 scanners.

An HP 3015 Laser printer/fax/scanner with sheet feed, the CanonScan 5600F flatbed and a Canon all-in-one I got for free with my macbook purchase tht has a document feeder.

• Members

My office scanner (Microtek ScanMaker 5900) just died. I got it second-hand a couple of years ago from someone that was upgrading their scanner.

I use the scanner primarily to digitize documents for storage and for capturing images for class presentations. I'd like to spend as little as possible (the college will be purchasing it) and want as small a footprint as I can get yet still have a flatbed scanner. I never really scan anything greater than 600 dpi.

If it's just low rez standard stuff, wait for a good sale at Best Buy/Staples/Office Maxpot. You can usually find 1200dpi scanners for $50ish.

• Members

Not exactly what you're asking for, but I've been having good luck with a Canon MX700 scan/print/copy/fax thing. Probably $100-150.

It does "manual duplex" scanning with the feeder. That surprised me because I thought the specs said you had to get the next model up to do that.

Archived