Best bass head under/around $300

andy3033

• Members

I just got a nice cab (1x15 @ 8ohms) and I am looking for advice on a good relatively cheap head until I have the $$$ to go all out. Going with a used one is probably going to be the most economical/best deal.

Brands I like include: ampeg, fender, acoustic, sunn....

- and I understand these are typically out of my price range (new at least). But like I said I'd like to luck out with something used for a fair price.

I want something that I can practice with at a reasonable volume in my apartment, but also something that will stand up to a full band. So it seems ~200W is a reasonable output for this scenario, but don't take that as a limiter/requirement.

I play indie/punk/classic rock, so that should give an idea of the sound I'm looking for.

The cheaper the better because I'm on a budget, but I can stretch if need be! Thanks!:thu:

• Members

Sorry I addicted to Hartke amps

HA2500 = 180watts at 8ohm

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_2500%20Bass%20Amplifier%20Head_-1_10052_10002_-49990080?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Bass%20Guitar%20Amp%20Heads-_-2500%20Bass%20Amplifier%20Head-_-H2500XXXX

LH 500 says it 500 watts, but I doubt at 8ohms. Anyway this I what I have, plenty of power and it's only $350.

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_LH500%20Bass%20Amplifier%20Head_-1_10052_10002_-49959351_cmCategorySA182895

If you can find a US Ampeg B2-R that would also be a nice rig.

• Members

yeah I saw a b2r for like 350 and was curious about how good they are.

I've also been looking at some vintage acoustic amps (150, 260, 360) and some seem cool but the inexpensive ones are like 200W at 2 ohms....... sooo... might not actually be that loud. ive heard that are conservatively rated though.

• Members

yeah some of these hartke amps seem pretty cool, frequency filter sliders on the solid state ha2500, but i like the tube preamp in the lh500.. any thoughts or opinions on these?

3500 seems good too but i havent done too much research yet

thanks so far for the help!

• Members

I have the Hartke HA3500 and although it's a great head, which you can get at a great price (I got mine shipped for under $200 used), I have one caution. If you are interested in classic amps, or a colored tone, or some natural dirt, Hartke probably isn't going to cut it by itself. They are very clean amps. Even with the tube pre cranked in my head, I'm not hearing much of any warmth/coloration/dirt added to the tone.

Now, of course that could be added with a pedal or two, but just something you should know.

• Members

I've spent some time with the Ampeg B2-R, Hartke 3500 and LH500.

Currently I use an LH500, simple to use with only 4 knobs!

The 3500 seems to be more powerful than the LH500 and have more EQ options. Like what was said above is Hartke amps are very clean. I got the Harke Attack preamp pedal with my LH500, so that gives me a little dirt.

The Ampeg was great. Reasonable power, plenty of EQ and can get alittle dirty.

Acoustic, I'd shy away from. The old ones had a great reputation and a cool sound, but Guitar Center bought the rights to them and made them dirt cheap. If you're short on cash, eh it'd be an amp vs. no amp, but I don't think you'll get a ton of mileage out of it.

• Members

thanks for the help so far.. I've only been looking at the vintage acoustics because I'm wary about the GC buyout too...

does anyone have any opinions on the marshall mb450h? ive read up a bit and it seems like a decent amp, but itll be more expensive and maybe not be as good as the hartkes or b2r discussed. It would look super badass with the cab im getting though (orange obc115 white tolex)

I've got a couple pedals I use for dirt with my bass, so some tube preamp breakup would be a good bonus, but like what was said, I can throw on a pedal instead.

Also, how's the SS dirt on the ampeg? Is it really transparent and like spikey like solid states can sometimes be? Is the natural crunch a good selling point if I have pedals I like to use anyways?

I think it might be down to the b2r vs ha3500 because of the EQ options, assuming no one adds some more amps i'm not familiar with.

One weird thing though, the LH500 has a 9.4 sound quality rating in the reviews section here though, and that like blows the other two out of the water numerically speaking (both around 8 or so, which is pretty 'average good' here). Is it really that much better than the b2r or 3500?

• Members
yeah the gk800rb is rad, but it seems more in the $400-$600 price range used than $150-$350. if i could spend that much id just track down a sunn 200s, but i'll have to wait for that
:)

Where do you live anyway? I see them all of the time for $250-325.

• Members

Peavey Mark VI...

- georgestrings

I can dig that.

Has Hartke stuff gotten better in the last 10ish years or something? The last few times I played through a Hartke rig I thought it to be nothing special... Basically on par with my Crate BX100.

• Members

I can dig that.

Has Hartke stuff gotten better in the last 10ish years or something? The last few times I played through a Hartke rig I thought it to be nothing special... Basically on par with my Crate BX100.

Yeah, was thinking the same thing - I've been forced to gig on the HA3500, and didn't think it was all that...

- georgestrings

• Members

There has been some very sweet deals to be found on the SWR 350x lately.I know because I got one myself brand new for about half what they usually go for.I really like it a lot.Combined with the SA preamp I get very close to the all tube sound.

• Members
  • Members

If you can find a used Genz Benz Neo Pak it will likely sell around $300 and will certainly fill your needs. Light, loud, portable, 2 ohm operation, flexible strong eq, incredible tone, and the best customer service in the industry. If I were shopping for amps again I would have Genz Benz high atop my list and the NeoPak is right in your price range. Good luck

Archived