Free photo editing software suggestions

Renfield

• Members

A coworker who is FAR from computer literate needs a photo editing program at home to perform one simple task, I dare say only.

He has and can use the "red-eye" software that came with his digital camera, but it saves the files in too large of a format for him to want to email them around and I want to help him find a jpg reducer that's simple to use.

In proper terms he wants to take the 300dpi camera pics and export them at a web friendly 72dpi, and that's about it.

I've used Gimp, and I know it would confuse the hell out of him, I need some simple application of some kind. Again, this is likely the only feature he'd ever use on it.

Ideas?

• Members

Windows Live
:idk:

http://photos.live.com/

It has a red eye option.

I'll play with it, but it makes me nervous already, knowing him. This is a guy that swears the internet is broken every time he "loses" the IE icon in his taskbar. :facepalm:

In a perfect world there will be a one button application. You hit the Reduce button, choose your folder and automagically it is done. I'm not optimistic on finding that, but you never know.

• Members

I use PhotoScape for a variety of things. I edit all the photos for the webpages I'm responsible for at work. It's not PhotoShop by any means, but for reducing pic size, file size, combining pics, animated .gifs, etc.---I use PhotoScape. It even has a crude screen capture so you can capture pics from the internet or documents.

• Members

I have a utility here called photoresize. It's crazy easy.

The utility is named photoresize###.exe. You set ### to correspond to the size you want the pics to end up. Then you drag and drop one or many pics onto the icon and it will resize them, saving them in the original folder with the number you chose appended to the name.

So rename the app photoresize640.exe

drag photo named "grand canyon 1.jpg" and drop it on the app.

"grand canyon 1_640.jpg" appears in the same folder as the original and is 640 wide.

PM me and I'll send it out.

• Members

I have a utility here called photoresize. It's crazy easy.

The utility is named photoresize###.exe. You set ### to correspond to the size you want the pics to end up. Then you drag and drop one or many pics onto the icon and it will resize them, saving them in the original folder with the number you chose appended to the name.

So rename the app photoresize640.exe

drag photo named "grand canyon 1.jpg" and drop it on the app.

"grand canyon 1_640.jpg" appears in the same folder as the original and is 640 wide.

PM me and I'll send it out.

This sounds very promising. PM on the way.

• Members

If he is happy doing the red eye on the software he has, then there is a windows powertoy for resizing images that is fantastically easy to use, and which I have forgotten the name of. Nice and easy to use (right click on file, resize) and could be setup for web resolution.

This is what I need. He's a 66 yr old stubborn mofo that freaks out in the face of change. If he says that he likes his red eye software, I don't want to suggest an alternative.

If one piece of software does all 5 tasks he needs, but he only knows how to do one thing on 5 different pieces, he can use 5 pieces for all I care, as long as he leaves me alone in the process. :lol:

• Members

Why doesnt he just resize the pic in paint after clicking on the pic? From within windows own software. Crazy easy with vista.

#1 he's on XP

#2 he just cancelled his ISP "because of too many problems." The problem is him going senile and forgetting how to use a PC, then naturally blaming the PC itself, and switches ISP's as a "fix". He gets easily confused on the best of days.

It took me 30 minutes to walk him through creating a desktop shortcut once, I'm not about to take on anything extraneous if can be avoided.

Archived