Which bass preamp (rack) would you recommend ?

The Unknown

• Members

Hi !

I play with headphones alot and since I already own a mixer, I plug in a preamp into the mixer's XLR input to practice.

Right now, I'm using a SansAmp RBI, but I find it a bit noisy. I might be changing it for something else, but wouldn't spend a fortune. Any suggestions what to look at ?

• Members

Yamaha PB1

Best pre I've owned or used. The Sansamps are really super noisy imho, and can't push a power amp hard enough for my tastes either.

The 2u pre's are way overpriced and have too many gadgets on them in my opinion. Takes me about 5 seconds to set my tone with the Yamaha and it is really amazing.

Other candidates I like:

-BBE BmaxT - pretty good, sounds nice, fairly quiet, has some ok gadgets and is small. Get it on Ebay, best deals by far.

-I have heard good things bout the Fender TBP-1, but it's awfully pricey

-Demeter HBP-1 is probably what I would go for it I had the funds - the two band parametric is really more my style. But it's around 3x the cost of the PB-1.

• Members

What I find is that in order to drive some power amps sufficiently you need to turn the gain up quite a ways, and in order to achieve some of the tones it can produce you need to turn the gain up quite a ways. Either way, by the time you add enough gain for me to like it it's noisy.

It's not terrible, but it's enough for me to take a pass on it since it doesn't sound any better than other alternatives around the same price.

• Members

There are no doubt better preamps, but I don't think you can get a better preamp for the money. I have two of them.
:thu:

Yeah, I haven't gotten to try a lot of boutique stuff but a combination of simplicity/ease of achieving tone, features, and cost/benefit, it's my favorite. You can get similar tones with a lot of pre's but the only ones I have liked about the same are 2u preamps which are a pain in the butt.

The cost definitely plays a role in how much I love it :p

• Members

I have an older Trace Elliot GP 11 that I like a lot. They made them in preamp versions and with several different preamps.

What kind of sound are you looking for? The Trace does a nice wooly rock sound, but probably wouldn't be the best for something like a hi-fi jazz sound.

• Members

I have an older Trace Elliot GP 11 that I like a lot. They made them in preamp versions and with several different preamps.

What kind of sound are you looking for? The Trace does a nice wooly rock sound, but probably wouldn't be the best for something like a hi-fi jazz sound.

I've been an ampeg man when it comes to amps... but I tend to fond that what is supposed to emulate the sound of an ampeg never quite makes it really. So I guess a preamp that would let my basses do the talking would be nice... maybe a good affordable tube DI would do it then ?

Archived